Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

is the jupiter 9, 85mm f2.0 a good lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: is the jupiter 9, 85mm f2.0 a good lens? Reply with quote

Hi,

recently i have been looking for a 85mm prime lens. One of the lenses is the Jupiter 9. Does anyone has this lens and comment on the picture captured using it? Thanks

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a lot excellent portrait lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-set design with nice heavy, solid feel. Most examples are very stiff to focus, due to using grease for Russian tank tracks. Quite fuzzy wide open but very sharp closed down. Weird and uncomfortable bokeh and highlights, depending on aperture and focus distance, but I don't find that a big problem. Also quite fiddly to use - the focus and stop-down rings are too close together for me.

I also have the Super-Takumar 1.9/85, but it might tell you something that I'm intending to also get a Volna 3 or maybe a Nikkor 1.8/80 soon, or even better, a Pancolar 1.8/80, but I can't afford that! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic lens - pay more for one that focuses smoothly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent lens if you're able to find a good copy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one a few months ago. I hadn't used it much and I was going to sell it. However I took it out a couple of weeks ago and I was delighted with the results. It's heavy and the balance on my camera (Nikon D40X) is slightly awkward but I soon got used to it. I have a good copy - focussing is heavily damped but silkily smooth. AND - the blades are nicely oiled. This is not a fault. This is how they were (and are ?) designed and made. Of course if the lens has been sitting around for months (years ?) without use, and the oil has degraded, the aperture may become rather sticky. As to picture quality- there must be dozens of examples - on this forum and elswhere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Pre-set design with nice heavy, solid feel. Most examples are very stiff to focus, due to using grease for Russian tank tracks. Quite fuzzy wide open but very sharp closed down. Weird and uncomfortable bokeh and highlights, depending on aperture and focus distance, but I don't find that a big problem. Also quite fiddly to use - the focus and stop-down rings are too close together for me.

I also have the Super-Takumar 1.9/85, but it might tell you something that I'm intending to also get a Volna 3 or maybe a Nikkor 1.8/80 soon, or even better, a Pancolar 1.8/80, but I can't afford that! Smile

I was originally after the Jupiter 9 but saw the Volna 80mm for sale so went with that. Great lens with good Bokeh. When I do some serious portraits I'll post some examples. Colours are very warm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 80/85mm ranking:

1. Nikkor-H 1.8/85 (but only because of the extra stop)
2. Volna-3 MC 2.8/80 (very, very close to the Nikkor)
3. Jupiter-9 2.0/85 (also a very nice lens, but not as good as the other two)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its BEUATIFUL --- why?

because of its colours (russian character) and bokeh and one thing I like it a lot is --- really nice rendering of fine textures - especially clothes, flowers etc ...

I can give some examples if you want ...

tf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that LucisPictor rates it so highly.

Yes, the only downside I would say the Volna has is it only opens to 2.8. One more stop would make it a killer lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Interesting that LucisPictor rates it so highly.

Yes, the only downside I would say the Volna has is it only opens to 2.8. One more stop would make it a killer lens.

It's originally a medium format lens, and in this format is quite fast (exactly as the Hassy 80mm Planar or CZJ Biometar 80).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately samples are not showing, but look people opinion about result what this lens able to produce.

http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-silver-portrait-t2729,highlight,jupiter9.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/test-jupiter-9-against-canon-85-1-8-af-t7370,highlight,jupiter9.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-2-85mm-black-m42-t7521,highlight,jupiter9.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/portrait-pics-model1-jupiter-9-2-85-and-trioplan-2-8-100-t6537,highlight,jupiter9.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-85-2-review-and-image-t5074,highlight,jupiter9.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are three examples from my recent outing with the Jupiter 9.

Jupiter 9, Kood infinity (glass) adapter, Nikon D40x; late afternoon-early evening light at a low angle which gives a yellowish cast - f/4; RAW capture with modest PP; no sharpening except for Bicubic Sharper used for reduction.

Top to bottom :Sunflower (unknown hybrid), Dahlia 'Baret Joy', Castor oil plant (Ricinus communis ?).

Looking at my screen I think that the colours are about right.

Following my earlier post I've now received a Volna 3 2.8/80. So I hope to do a quick comparison in the next few days.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys for your comment. I am very convinced to get this lens. Hope the seller's one is a good copy. Will try it out during the meetup. Razz

By the way,i noticed that there are 2 version of the M42 MC Jupiter 9. Are there any difference? One looks like a grenade, while the other looks newer/modern in design(like the one i saw at Rugift).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahojazz wrote:
thanks guys for your comment. I am very convinced to get this lens. Hope the seller's one is a good copy. Will try it out during the meetup. Razz

By the way,i noticed that there are 2 version of the M42 MC Jupiter 9. Are there any difference? One looks like a grenade, while the other looks newer/modern in design(like the one i saw at Rugift).

The cylinder shape is for rangefinder cameras and the grenade shape is for SLRs. Originally both kinds were in aluminium finish and had M39 thread mount, but the later black J-9 MC has M42 thread.
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-m39-t333.html

Last edited by peterqd on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter 9 is one of my favourite toys, sharp and with excellent colours

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Mine is a fairly recent example (2007)and came from Rugift its one of the lenses I always carry around with me Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's confuse to me the differents opinions about the same thing. I really saw, in the differents posts, a greats pics taken with the J-9. I didn't see any distortion. But I note that it's a little contempt while others lenses, with similar rendition are called "very good lenses". Especially in the 135 mm focal.

Anythig I'm not understand?

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
It's confuse to me the differents opinions about the same thing. I really saw, in the differents posts, a greats pics taken with the J-9. I didn't see any distortion. But I note that it's a little contempt while others lenses, with similar rendition are called "very good lenses". Especially in the 135 mm focal.

Anythig I'm not understand?

Rino.

The Jupiter 9 is the copy of the Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 (Jupiter = Zeus = Zeiss), but I guess there were broad differences in quality, like many russian lenses, as this lens is produced until today. This is probably the cause of what you said.
Anyway in a tele lens is not distortion the problem but mostly bokeh and contrast, and the Jupiter 9 seems to have a "busy" bokeh that some people may dislike.
I just know that I can't wait to have the copy I recently bought in my greedy hands sooner!

Last edited by A G Photography on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Alessandro.

Yes, It's a copy of the sonnar. I must say that the distortion of the teles is in pincusion form, and more that is an old design. And in the bokeh aspect, sure there is a consensual opinion, but it's a taste question too.

Good luck with your copy.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried Jupiter-9, but it's definetely an interesting lens. It seems, that Jupiter has circular OOF lights instead of ovoids, which are typical for Helios. Are there any further differences?

It's quite known, that Jupiter is copy of Sonnar, but what is the origin of Helios? Is it modified Biotar design, or something else?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-X

You are right, to me. What's wrong with the Russian lens (Heliar, Jupiters, etc). Are old design? Well, biotar 75/1,5 not a new one.

The planar, tessar, etc. are designs with more than a century.

The boketh? Well. the Elmar LS 3,5/50 never had an splendid bokeh, but it didn't loose any the pics to Cartier Bresson (great user of 50 leica lens). Very subjetive question.

If somebody tells that don't like the j-9 bokeh, it's ok, endeed. It's a taste question, no more.

The real fault of the J9 is his yellowish dominant. But lot of lenses have it (pancolar 50, one of my favorite have it) and everybody accept his quality.

The definition of the J9 isn't impressive. Well, a lot of the "great" lenses not match by much the jupiter definition at F/5,6-8.

And then, what's the problem with the j9?

If I should look for a lens with sharm, lovely and romantic image, light, short, for hard use, I take without hesitation the J9.

Rino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, i just collected my Jupiter 9 yesterday. Great lens, i am impressed by the build. at f/4, everything is sharp. at f2, its soft, great for portraits. even at f2.8 is already usable. I just like this PRESET thing. so special. Razz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!

I didn't a test, but I read in others forums that the best F of the jupiter is the 2,8 (not the best, may be,but more lines/mm define).

Good luck. Rino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got myself a copy and tested it out on my Canon 40D.

I need to test it out in the course of the following days.

Seems very promising.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merelyok: I REALLY like that shot! I'm sure that some won't like the out of focus highlights, but to me they SING in this image. And also, they DANCE as well!

The colors are wonderful, the image simply SNAPS into my eyes.

A "first shot" and you are ALREADY showing a superb result. Shocked