Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 200mm f4 "preset" M42 mount lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 200mm f4 "preset" M42 mount lens Reply with quote

I have this lens for few months, but never able to use. Owns few 200mm range lens, but my pentacon 135mm f2.8 had exacta mount, inter changeable mount. Its very difficult to get different mounts for these lens, its cheaper to get other lens with these mounts. Got this lens very cheap with M42 mount, I think around $25.

Took the lens for evening walk, mostly to test the lens. (All pics are handheld, take little shake as factor too).

First, background blur/bokeh and sharpness,

Captured wide open @f4

100%crop @f4

Captured @f5.6

100%crop @f5.6

other pics, esp CA test..... either wide open or around f5...

100%crop @f4

And this one you have seen before...

My first impressions,
The lens is heavy, built like heavy duty machine, with 15 blades iris...
The lens is sharp and great out of focus rendering. But show heavy CA.. The lens is slow for walk around lens, and not comparable to Jupiter-21M 200mm f/4 (almost of same weight).
I am liking Takumar 200mm f5.6 more. Slow but have good ISO quality results with Canon 450D, I am more inclined to use Takumar 200mm f5.6 (than this heavy beast). Still, for once a while, worth using...

Last edited by Ballu on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get CA on all F-stops.
I have seen it on my 4/200 as well, but not lately.
Thought it could be that I have been avoiding shooting fully open for a while.

I'm mostly pleased with the colour rendition and bokeh of my Pentacon.
CA is probably it's worst feature.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven wrote:

I will try stopped down... But after f5.6, its difficult to do handheld, unless pushing the ISO rating high..

I dont have issue using tripod, I will do that way. Yes, bokeh wise, superb lens. Colors are vibrant. But Jupiter 200/4 also is good from color aspect.

The problem is, I have Nikkor 180/2.8 for tripod situation.. best of both: Wide open great lens and stopped down, superb performer..

I think, I should try Pentacon 200/4 for fall captures.. I liked the results of leaves, colors etc (nature) with this lens..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not CA, it is sensor bloom.
it appear in zone of high contrast and it is difficult to correct
I hope future sensor will fix this issue
on film, no sensor bloom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
it is not CA, it is sensor bloom.
it appear in zone of high contrast and it is difficult to correct
I hope future sensor will fix this issue
on film, no sensor bloom

Interesting.
Explains why it is so difficult to correct. The fringes seem to point in all directions where there is high contrast.
Perhaps some smart setting in the camera set-up could reduce the bloom?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Sven wrote:

I will try stopped down... But after f5.6, its difficult to do handheld, unless pushing the ISO rating high..

I dont have issue using tripod, I will do that way. Yes, bokeh wise, superb lens. Colors are vibrant. But Jupiter 200/4 also is good from color aspect.

The problem is, I have Nikkor 180/2.8 for tripod situation.. best of both: Wide open great lens and stopped down, superb performer..

I think, I should try Pentacon 200/4 for fall captures.. I liked the results of leaves, colors etc (nature) with this lens..

My choice is more limited. At 200mm it's either the Pentacon or an AF Sigma Zoom, two very different lenses. I had my eyes on a Nikkor 2.8/180 but it became a bit too expensive.
The Pentacon is great for fall captures as you say. I have used it a lot recently.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven
If there is any way you can get to the nikkor - it's one of the best available

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
it is not CA, it is sensor bloom. ....

So, I am understanding this correctly, this will be the case with all lenses. Even if I would have used Tak or any other lens...

Do you have some good ref/links in sensor bloom. I havent dig into this issue before...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
So, I am understanding this correctly, this will be the case with all lenses

not all lenses have this behavior
for example, the contax 85:1.4 have this but not the 85:2.8
most modern fast lens are affected, older simpler design not
solution is to avoid harsh light or underexpose
it is a electronic artifact, sensor is like a mirror and still have many limitation
if you don't like vignetting, bad border, sensor dust, CA, sensor bloom, burned highlight like holes, banding in shadows, etc... you should try film

Ballu wrote:
Do you have some good ref/links in sensor bloom

read this about sensor bloom