Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor zoom surprise !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Nikkor zoom surprise ! Reply with quote

Got a chance last week to get a minty Nikkor 300mm 4.5 *ED IF ais
The catch ? i had to take everything the seller had in the camera case
Nikon F-301 slr , zoom Nikkor 35-105 , zoom nikkor 100-300 5.6 , 1.4 tele converter and 12mm nikon extender

i was very sceptical because my experience with 30 year old zooms are bad
most of them soft wide open at the long end with barrel distortion at the short end , but all were mint . But i heard a small voice on my shoulder say DO IT....DO IT...and i did !

The 100 -300 5.6 was a big surprise , almost no distortion anywhere , sharper than any zoom i had wide open and little CA and great boheh for a zoom
one stop down at 300mm

actual pixels

Is this good , or is my standards a bit low ? Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results look lovely to me! There's nothing quite like a genuine surprise Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice piece there !

I have tried for some of the older Nikkor zooms, they seem neglected, yet their workmanship is superb. There has got to be some good in them !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the 300 -- I really like that lens. I had 100-300 for awhile but sold it last year. A good lens, built to really last, but I found I couldn't hold it still enough! (But then I can't hold ANY 300 still enough!)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the 300/4.5 ED IF should also be pretty good - actually very good. The 35-105 will be pretty good too. That was quite a haul

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Try the 300/4.5 ED IF should also be pretty good - actually very good. The 35-105 will be pretty good too. That was quite a haul

patrickh

i look forward to testing the 300*ED.....i am stil not used to seeing Nikon glass on my Canon Shocked but will have to get used to it i guess! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Congrats on the 300 -- I really like that lens. I had 100-300 for awhile but sold it last year. A good lens, built to really last, but I found I couldn't hold it still enough! (But then I can't hold ANY 300 still enough!)

Very Happy My hands are also not that steady any more Embarassed I have to carry a small beanbag everywhere, and stay close to walls, fences rocks and trees Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results look good. I have tried a Nikkor 70-210 which was very good even by today's standards.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all old zoom lenses are bad. Even if the modern zooms are basically better than vintage ones, you can find several really good ones.
I've had some that were excellent on a crop sensor and still good on the 5D. Two of my zoom lenses are fantastic even on fullframe: Soligor 3.5/70-220 and Tokina 4/28-85. And the Yashica 28-80 is also a very nice lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a deal! Your a lucky dog....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Not all old zoom lenses are bad. Even if the modern zooms are basically better than vintage ones, you can find several really good ones.
I've had some that were excellent on a crop sensor and still good on the 5D. Two of my zoom lenses are fantastic even on fullframe: Soligor 3.5/70-220 and Tokina 4/28-85. And the Yashica 28-80 is also a very nice lens.

Will keep my eyes open for them....the soligor 3.5 / 70 -220 , is that from the CD range of lenses ?