Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus lenses -
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Olympus lenses - Reply with quote

Why are Olympus lenses so much smaller than everyone elses?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they make economy of glass and metal Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They inspired your design in Leica M. Twisted Evil

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus lenses - Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
Why are Olympus lenses so much smaller than everyone elses?

Because they were designed by a small Japanese guy? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made smallest SLR with smallest lenses that time, it was a big thing and today too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, most optimized... never tried to make money to show the macho image... Razz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was simply in the design philosophy.
The entire OM system is quite compact compared to others (nikon and canon fd in particular).
Zuiko lenses are like little jewels. Especially all the F2 wides and 2/85. I love them all Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same reason Olympus cameras are so much smaller than everybody else's; Maitani wanted them that way. He felt (as I do) that cameras had become too bulky and heavy and he set out to prove that it could be done better.

The original OM series sometimes sacrificed speed in favor of compactness; their very compact 200/5.0 is an example. Later on, they turned about and developed some remarkable high speed optics, but they maintained their efforts at compactness even in these. It was the compact OM cameras and lenses that created the design trend of the late 1970s, leading to the Nikon FE/FM and EM/FG, the Pentax ME/MX and other compact offerings from every manufacturer in the business. Even the Leica R4 came out of the post-OM compact boom.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies - the Olympus size is amazing - I have been playing with a 100/2.8 all week, and am always thinking, 'There must be something missing!' But there isn't...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: 50mm 1,2 so small Reply with quote

hi,
i just recieved a photo of the 50mm 1:1,2,
and i nearly could not believe, its so small.

well lets see how big the IQ will be ...

cheers
r

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 28mm F2.8 and it looks really odd on my 40D.

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all your perspective, I guess: to Puplet, the OM lenses appear surprisingly small; to me, the 40D is surprisingly obese.