Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exacta lenses (and EOS adapter)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Exacta lenses (and EOS adapter) Reply with quote

Is it possible to remove that "bulge" from the Exacta lenses that have it?
I ask because the hong kong adapter I have found, talks about the bulge as being able to not clear the wat to the rotation of the bayonet inside the EOS cameras.
This surely must be verified (the 5D for instance not having the builtin flash should not have this problem), but for the moment I'd like to know it that bulge is removable by unscrewing, etc....

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're talking about the arm that has the shutter release button and the auto diaphragm system in it? No, you can't remove that. And I expect that it would interfere with the overhanging prism on the 400D, but I think the higher end models without built-in flash would be okay.

:)=

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick!
I need to find an Exakta lens with bulge to test on the 5D.
If I can mount that, a whole universe of much cheaper Exakta version lenses will open!
For instance, the Flek 4/20 for Exakta is usually sold at about half the price of the M42 version.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio I have a pancolar exacta with bulge here. my thoghts were perhaps to mount the lens 180or 90 degrees out by modifying the EOS side there by retaining the register distance... maybe I can send it for testing

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob the seller of the adapter wrote that the adapter is incompatible with the "bulged" exaktas.
So even if there was room enough on the 5D to mount one, there would not be an adapter for it.
Too bad, there is plenty of Flektogon 25mm lenses for exakta that are so appetizing!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can remove the aperture button mechanism ("the bulge") from the later CZJ lenses.

There's a little bit of work involved, but I can show you how to do this if necessary.

It's completely reversible too...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, but I would still be without the adapter.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exakta camera register distance is 44.7, EOS register distance is 44.0. I am afraid this is not a real opportunity to use Exakta's wide angle lenses. I don't belive this adapter will maintenance infinity focus.0.7 mm simple not enough to make right adapter.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Orio:

I think what the seller may mean about incompatibility is regarding the front of the 5D's pentaprism preventing the Exakta "bulge" from rotating past when you mount the lens.

Remove the "bulge" and you should be able to mount the lens using the adapter.

However, Attila's correct - there's another Exakta-EOS adapter made by Kindai and from various reports I've read, it too doesn't quite allow true infinity focus for the same reason. And it's daaaaaamn expensive......

That said, nothing's impossible....... Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding was that the lens would fit the adapter but the two together would not fit the camera as lens bulge and flash would collide. So if the lens were mounted off-set this would not be an issue. I have just tried with my M42 adapter and it will mount to the Eos if you place it onto the camera ithe the red marker at abot 5 Oclock instead of 12 Oclock. all that is needed is to drill a new hole for the locking pin on the camera to prevent the lens rotating too far. The f stops and focusing numbers will be on the underside but that is not the end of the world.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
@ Orio:
I think what the seller may mean about incompatibility is regarding the front of the 5D's pentaprism preventing the Exakta "bulge" from rotating past when you mount the lens.

No, I asked him the specific question. Should the 5D allow room for the rotating bulge, would I be able to use the adapter? And his answer was no, the adapter is not compatible with the bulged lenses, regardless of if 5D would allow one to be mounted or not.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look at my Exakta mount lenses and I think I know what he's referring to - on the "bulge" lenses, the aperture mechanism has a cover with a small protrusion that looks like it may foul the adapter and thus prevent it from mounting. The actual Exakta bayonet sits proud of the camera front so this protrusion never causes a problem.

If you remove the aperture mechanism, I would think you'd be able to use the adapter.

I can post images of the points I'm referring to.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me which part you think will cause a problem?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have doubt, you can ask the seller directly:

Click here to see on Ebay

His name is Eric.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Can you tell me which part you think will cause a problem?

It seems as if one removed the cap (A-B-C-D) then nothing would crash??

Jules

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I contacted eric with this picture here is his response, "part A blocks the protruding top of EOS, and part B and C block the adapter"

now looking it this if you can remove the plate with B and C we may be in business

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Orio: Part B would foul the adapter, and part A, the mirror pentaprism like the seller says.

@ Bob:

The plate tensions the shutter/aperture button by means of a compression spring - remove the plate and the button and spring fall out, but you're still left with the "bulge".

Quote:

Like I said several posts before, I can show everyone how to remove the whole lot.Rolling Eyes

All non-destructive and completely reversible.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
@ Orio: Part B would foul the adapter, and part A, the mirror pentaprism like the seller says.

@ Bob:

The plate tensions the shutter/aperture button by means of a compression spring - remove the plate and the button and spring fall out, but you're still left with the "bulge".

Quote:

Like I said several posts before, I can show everyone how to remove the whole lot.Rolling Eyes

All non-destructive and completely reversible.

BOB,

Can you post the procedure?

Thanks

Jules

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is guys:

No pix but once you get in there, it's pretty straightforward and it covers all the '60s CZJ Exakta automatic glass as they all used the same mount albeit with some minor differences.

1. Remove four screws around circumference of lens mount and detach it – place screws and lens to one side for now.

2. Remove two screws securing rear plate of aperture/shutter release housing – press down on plate as you remove screws to prevent it from springing up suddenly.

3. Remove aperture/shutter release tension spring and button.

4. Remove screw inside aperture/shutter release housing.

5. Remove small circlip from cam pin directly opposite above screw.

6. Lift off cam, taking care not to lose small tension spring.

7. Remove cam pin using suitable tool – it has two diametrically opposite slots at its base.

8. Detach aperture/shutter release housing.

9. Remove two screws adjacent to bayonet stop pin.

10. Remove aperture actuating arm, taking care not to lose small tension spring.

11. Refit lens mount.

12. Cover hole in mount using insulating tape etc.

13. Enjoy your preset Exakta lens...

If you decide to restore the lens back to original, as well as naturally keeping all the parts you remove, take note that refitting the spring in step 10 is extremely fiddly and will severely try your patience.....

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob for the detailed description. Maybe one day I will try it.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PING what was that? it was my spring flying off across the kitchen to God knows where, I hope it turns up again!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until you try to refit the tiny spring I referred to in step 10......

They've only just allowed me to be in the vicinity of large heavy tools and sharp instruments.

And I still break out in a cold sweat if anyone mentions the word "spring"......

Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks so much but s***, now I need to buy an adapter and some P. lenses before they get too expensive! Wink

Jules