Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Backlight Dream
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Backlight Dream Reply with quote

I loved this nice alpine lake for its "dreamy" persona.
I decided to stay here overnight, and actually had
a bear watch me set up my little tent! Shocked
Then, he ambled up a steep hillside, seeming
to not put out any effort at all!

Late in the afternoon, the cool mist just had
started to come in against the far mountainside
(you can "sort of" see the effect, which tones the
greens into the blue side of the spectrum, and
softens the light.

However, off to my left, the sun was starting to set,
and streaming light into the Mountain Hemlock
(Tsuga mertensiana).

The resulting backlight was mesmerizing. However,
it took me a while to decide on an exposure because
of the high range of zonal light.

I got lucky, and the exposure that I guessed, seems
to be about where it should be. Sometimes I wish I had
a light meter, but that would have been one more piece
of gear to overload the already heavy pack. Mad

I figured exposure according to Sunny 16; because of the
light on the hemlock, I opened up one stop to avoid having
the sunlight too dim as the film compensated for the light.

Later on, I climbed up the hillside beside the waterfall
you see up behind the lake. I took a shot there which
gives a good "overhead" perspective, and I will post
that one too.

Anyway, here's the shot. Hard to shoot, hard to process,
but I think I'm close. Confused

Hemlock Dreams
Mamiya RB67
Mamiya-Sekor 180mm lens
f:16 and 1/60th
Provia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence

Lovely composition, your usual "eye". But you have set your own bar so high I must comment on the blown highlights - impossible to avoid under the lighting circumstances, but the snow is a real detractor for me

Embarassed Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the composition, Larry. The tree in the foreground sets a point of interest, gives the image a dynamic vertical "pull" and really helps define the space. The golden sunlight rays on the leaves are the extra touch.

I must confess, that I would like to see this photo taken with your Yashica Mat. In my humble opinion, it served you and your vision better than this Mamiya, which I am not able to like. I think that your photos with the Yashica and the former Hassie had a special "punch" and a clarity of image that I think this camera does not render. My humble opinion of course...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Backlight Dream Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Guess I never have been close to close Wink

Amazing picture.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onelazyday wrote:
beautiful

Thank you! Even one word is sometimes nice to hear!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Laurence
Lovely composition, your usual "eye". But you have set your own bar so high I must comment on the blown highlights - impossible to avoid under the lighting circumstances, but the snow is a real detractor for me
Embarassed Embarassed
patrickh

Yup, the white is way too bright! I tried to go to Selective Color and bring up the black slider on the white, to no avail. I simply wish now that I would have notched the exposure down a little. I appreciate highly your comments, Patrick! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
May I borrow your eye for a few hours one day? I just need the ball... exchange your for mine for just a few hours and get a taste for your views.
Good eye Larry...
I think there is much that could be gleamed just following you around on a shoot sometime.

Thank you much! We DO need to get together, since we are not far from each other. I've been heavy at work, and the 9 days in the backcountry is all I have gotten lately. But I'm anticipating meeting up with you this winter!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I love the composition, Larry. The tree in the foreground sets a point of interest, gives the image a dynamic vertical "pull" and really helps define the space. The golden sunlight rays on the leaves are the extra touch.

I must confess, that I would like to see this photo taken with your Yashica Mat. In my humble opinion, it served you and your vision better than this Mamiya, which I am not able to like. I think that your photos with the Yashica and the former Hassie had a special "punch" and a clarity of image that I think this camera does not render. My humble opinion of course...

You stated what has been in the back of mind for
quite a while! While the Mamiya is a wonderful beast,
it somehow seems like the lenses aren't up to the
Yashinon lens on the Mat.

I have six transparencies taken locally where I used
the Yashica Mat and Mamiya interchangeably for three
different exposures. Comparing them, the sharpness,
the accutance, and the COLOR are quite different from
each other.

The Yashica shows a "warmer" countenance, and somehow
I like the square format better. It seems to somehow be
a better compositional thing for me.

Another thing that separates the Yashica and Mamiya
(for me) is that the Yashica is much more mobile.
It seems that I'm fooling with the Mamiya on the tripod
for such a long time, that I may be "second guessing"
my way out of spontaneity.

Anyway, your comments are WELL taken Orio.
I need this kind of feedback, because it codifies
what is in my OWN head.

And..of course...this is the FUN of photography!
We get to work with all this equipment, and have
the joy of trying to find what works for us! Very Happy I mean,
that is what it's all about!

One final note: I have a B**CH of a time scanning
this one. Don't know exactly why...perhaps it's because
the colors were rendered "off", I don't know. Inactuality,
the trannie looks pretty good.

I am going to continue to "work" this one though...perhaps
I can see WHY it's not coming near the production value I
get from the Yashica Mat and the former Rolleiflex 6006.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Backlight Dream Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Guess I never have been close to close Wink
Amazing picture.

You have some AMAZING images, lahnet! Thank you for commenting, you are very kind.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, besides being a great photographer, you're also a brave man... I couldn't realize to watch a bear at a sightseeing distance and not to run away srcreaming at the speed of light...
The picture is a wonderful capture, thanks for sharing!

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Larry, besides being a great photographer, you're also a brave man... I couldn't realize to watch a bear at a sightseeing distance and not to run away srcreaming at the speed of light...
The picture is a wonderful capture, thanks for sharing!

Jes.

Ah Jes! I am no braver than the next guy! Laughing

Don't tell ANYONE, but every time I see a bear, my adrenaline starts up, and my heartbeat goes up! So PLEASE don't let anyone know on this forum, it might be embarrassing! Very Happy Cool Razz

I've seen probably HUNDREDS of bears over the past 50 years, encountering mothers-with-cubs, big old huge Males approaching 700 pounds, and even watched bears sliding down snowfields and then climbing back up to slide down again! Shocked

And in all those times, I STILL get very wary, and start to look around at my "exit" points, and ALWAYS talk softly to the bears. I've never had a problem, but I never take it for granted.

I think that, with the proper amount of couuntenance and care, that being "around bears" is not a big problem.

So, it's not bravery...it's just "watching what I do"...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry
I think Orio is on to something and it seems you feel it also.
The Y-Mat and Rollei shots well for that matter the ones from the P-645 have more life and personality.
It seems the Mamiya lenses have a flatter and less lively drawing style.
Maybe they would show stronger in a studio setting.
I think for your landscapes the Yashinon, SMC, and Zeiss lenses from those other systems suit your landscapes much better.
I hope these words don't bring about any anxiety with your 67 acquisition.
I love the 6x7 format. But your style "out resolves" this Mamiya system in my opinion. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. (oh.. Embarassed just bit my tongue my self... what the hell I am doing here in OH)...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Seymore wrote:
May I borrow your eye for a few hours one day? I just need the ball... exchange your for mine for just a few hours and get a taste for your views.
Good eye Larry...
I think there is much that could be gleamed just following you around on a shoot sometime.

Thank you much! We DO need to get together, since we are not far from each other. I've been heavy at work, and the 9 days in the backcountry is all I have gotten lately. But I'm anticipating meeting up with you this winter!

I think it would be cool if the THREE of us got together sometime for a photo shoot.