Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 85mm f2 : My latest Lens : Some Photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 9 85mm f2 : My latest Lens : Some Photos Reply with quote

My latest addition to my collection and by far my most expensive vintage lens purchase.

Black Jupiter 9, 1971, focus and aperture rings move nicely

Here are some of my latest photos with this beautiful lens

All photos shot wide open, f2 or f2.8 ish

I think the lens was worth the £140-00 from ebay

Nice to Meet you again Julie (Jupiter 9 vintage lens) by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

Catwoman and Friend at Cosplay (Jupiter 9 Vintage lens) by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

Scarecrow by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

100 Strangers : Round 3 : No. 275 : Hazel (Jupiter 9 Vintage Lens) by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

and finally ...meet me ... Smile

50 year old Jupiter 9 lens selfie shot at f2 by Phil Howcroft, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good is a good Jupiter!

Noice!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
How good is a good Jupiter!

Noice!

Oldhand wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Oldhand and trom , thanks for your vote of confidence. I am really pleased with my purchase . I normally get my lenses from charity shops and rarely pay much more than £20.

This was my first ebay purchase, so I was a tad nervous about the outcome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos! I just purchased one of these lenses today so these make me very excited to try it out. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
Great photos! I just purchased one of these lenses today so these make me very excited to try it out. Thanks for sharing!

I look forward to seeing your first results . Enjoy 🙂

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!! Great result!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results, congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 9 85mm f2 : My latest Lens : Some Photos Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:

You'll hear discussion from time to time about sample variation in old Russian lenses, especially the Jupiter-9. Clearly you got a good copy. Rejoice!

Like 1

It's fun to shoot with, isn't it? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 9 85mm f2 : My latest Lens : Some Photos Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
bwfcnottingham wrote:

You'll hear discussion from time to time about sample variation in old Russian lenses, especially the Jupiter-9. Clearly you got a good copy. Rejoice!

Like 1

It's fun to shoot with, isn't it? Wink

Yes it is a fabulous lens and I am really pleased with it. I contacted the seller to ensure it focused ok and aperture ring was ok , as i bought a 50mm Jupiter from a charity shop which had missing internal spacers , so I was nervous. The seller assured me everything was ok 🙂📷

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
Congrats!!! Great result!!!
thank you my friend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Great results, congratulations!
.cheers caspert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

It is a fine lens poilu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 9 85mm f2 : My latest Lens : Some Photos Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:
I contacted the seller to ensure it focused ok and aperture ring was ok , as i bought a 50mm Jupiter from a charity shop which had missing internal spacers , so I was nervous. The seller assured me everything was ok 🙂📷

It's always a gamble nonetheless. I own a Jupiter-11 (135mm) which is in excellent optical and mechanical condition, but unfortunately it's just not very sharp and doesn't perform all that well. You never know for sure until you get the lens in your hands and try it out.

Buying lenses from people who don't know anything about photography is an especially big risk.

Still, I'm glad your Jupiter-9 is a good one. I remember how much I enjoyed mine when I first got it. Take good care of it, and it'll last longer than you will! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using FSU lenses on mirrorless cameras gets around the need for actual focus and the RF cam of the lens being Synced up with the camera. J-9's are particularly difficult to use on a Leica RF.

I've had good luck with J-11's, the minimum focus is ~2meters. The J-9 focuses to 1.15meters, making it difficult to calibrate across range to the Leica RF.

The J-9 is very nice, is undercorrected for spherical aberration giving very smooth Bokeh. Same 7/3 configuration as the pre-war Sonnar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 Congrats WOW! Very well worth that much imho. Very well used too!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ended up with an excellent copy of that lens. I only looked at only one in my life and it turned out to be a dud. Luckily, I had my camera and adapter and was able to do some test shots before purchasing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of sheer stubbornness I custom shimmed and modified an LTM to M Mount adapter to use my 1967 J-9 on my Leica.

I got agreement with the RF good from 1.3m to infinity used wide-open at F2.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 9 85mm f2 : My latest Lens : Some Photos Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
bwfcnottingham wrote:
I contacted the seller to ensure it focused ok and aperture ring was ok , as i bought a 50mm Jupiter from a charity shop which had missing internal spacers , so I was nervous. The seller assured me everything was ok 🙂📷

It's always a gamble nonetheless. I own a Jupiter-11 (135mm) which is in excellent optical and mechanical condition, but unfortunately it's just not very sharp and doesn't perform all that well. You never know for sure until you get the lens in your hands and try it out.

Buying lenses from people who don't know anything about photography is an especially big risk.

Still, I'm glad your Jupiter-9 is a good one. I remember how much I enjoyed mine when I first got it. Take good care of it, and it'll last longer than you will! Wink

Yes I realised I was taking a chance , the seller had 100 per cent approval on ebay, had sold other camera equipment and his reply to my questions seemed OK. I wanted a J9 for some time and thought it unlikely I would find one in charity shops ( my normal choice of purchases) . As for lasting longer than me , as a 60 something year old , it is guaranteed to do so

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 9 85mm f2 : My latest Lens : Some Photos Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:
Yes I realised I was taking a chance , the seller had 100 per cent approval on ebay, had sold other camera equipment and his reply to my questions seemed OK. I wanted a J9 for some time and thought it unlikely I would find one in charity shops ( my normal choice of purchases) . As for lasting longer than me , as a 60 something year old , it is guaranteed to do so

Like 1

BTW, the Jupiter-9 works very well for macro if you get some extension tubes and a flash.

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everybody who has commented on this thread, I really appreciate your words

I took the Jupiter-9 out today and got some of my whippet dog at the park and my 10 moth old granddaughter, the results were excellent again

It is a keeper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfcnottingham wrote:
Thank you everybody who has commented on this thread, I really appreciate your words

I took the Jupiter-9 out today and got some of my whippet dog at the park and my 10 moth old granddaughter, the results were excellent again

It is a keeper

Have you tried it in low light yet?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
bwfcnottingham wrote:

It is a keeper

Have you tried it in low light yet?

I suppose it depends how you define low light . I've tried it in dull conditions and at dusk , but I've not tried any night time shots . My fave genre of photography is street strangers ( portraits of strangers I meet , shot with permission ) / street photography / portraits , so it ticks those boxes