Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Setting up a landscape gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Setting up a landscape gallery Reply with quote

I am determined in finally taking the time to set up my photos on the web in a permanent way. Every time that a friend asks me to see this or that photo, I have to search through big archives, it's not manageable anymore Rolling Eyes

What I want to do is, to organize my display in series, but at the same time, to have a "showcase" gallery, so to say, that for each theme (that could be "landscape", "carnival", and so on) shows a narrow selection of, say, 20 or 30 entries, as a presentation. Then, if someone likes what he sees in this showcase, he can dig deeper into the various series.

My problem is that, for the way I take pictures, it is very difficult for me to make a selection. Take landscape for instance. I don't have a dramatic style. I lean more towards the realistic, or diaristic sometimes. And certainly simple (I hope not simplistic). My photos may have a certain flavour when seen inside the context of a particular day. They are not those "final" photos that can stand well on their own. Part because I am not skilled enough to make such photos. Part because they are distant from my liking and my sensitivity - in other words, I don't want them.

The problem is that when I take my landscape photos out of the context they were taken, they seem to get weaker. To lose "orientation" together with the context.
Do you have any suggestion to give?
How do you select your "best of" landscape pictures?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me very easy at this time , because I don't have any Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Orio,

I think that this is an interesting question.

I find it one of the hardest things to choose which images to show/post/print.

I often try posting things on Flickr, to see if other people's reactions are any help, and sometimes they are - I think people are often not the best judges of their own work.

There was a photography reality show on UK TV a few months ago (maybe last year) but one of the interesting things I learned from watching it is that the process of choosing which images to show and how many is as important as producing them in the first place - it can be a vital part of developing as a photographer as the decision process can effect the next images you make (apparently)

So I suppose my answer would be to choose the ones that best represent you, but this does not make it any easier!!