Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RB67 and 180mm Lens-ADDED Better Scan
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: RB67 and 180mm Lens-ADDED Better Scan Reply with quote

Here's my first experiment with the Mamiya RB67 and its Sekor f:4 180mm at the limit of its close-focus point.

Grand Pass Moss Fields
Velvia 50
f:45 and 1/2 second

Last edited by Laurence on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subject is fantastic, but looks to me taken by low quality lens or light was too less. I expect lot better result from a 6x7 cam. Might be I am wrong, don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Subject is fantastic, but looks to me taken by low quality lens or light was too less. I expect lot better result from a 6x7 cam. Might be I am wrong, don't know.

I'm wondering if I overexposed slightly here when scanning. The transparency looks VERY good.

I'm still not overjoyed yet with the V700. I mean, it's probably as good as a flatbed can be, but perhaps a dedicated medium format scanner is the way to go.

That said, I had to rescan this several times to actually get to this point. Perhaps the nature of the detail is too much for the scanner (or should I say with my ability with the scanner).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess weakest point in the chain still scanner. How about a light pad and a good enalrger lens or macro lens + Pentax. Perhaps produce perfect result with low cost.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subject is very sweet and with a limited dynamic range that makes it pictorial.
The result is very pleasing on the pictorial/decorative side, this is one of those photos that one would like to see printed big on a wall.
I think I get what Attila means, that the result somehow seems to lack a bit of "punch"; I think it depends mostly on the light which is diffused and not directional. On a more contrasted subject it would be possible to see a different result.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm To me isn't so bad but it could be improved.

In the foreground you have some OOF, but I think this is also in the original slide and isn't a planariety problem of the scanned slide.

Then in the scanner program you use you have to set the black point because there's a yellow cast. Scanner sensor lights aren't neutral and the casts that they produce must be corrected in the preview.

Adding to it Velvia has a limited EV range so you have to check image levels also, so to recover the right contrast.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me a negative/slide and Ill scan it for you to test if its worth a new scanner. :p

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys, for taking the time to help me here! That's the beauty of this forum.

I am sort of "hit and miss" with my scanner, and part of that is that I haven't taken the time to go through a complete tutorial, nor have I used all the tweaks available. Confused

I agree that this lacks the "punch" of the transparency. On the light box, the transparency is simply great, at least to my eyes. The Monkeyflowers simply "explode" off the slide and show a depth and dimensionality that really MAKES the transparency as a whole.

The results that I've seen from dedicated medium format slide scanners are by and large, better than I'm getting from the V700. There ARE exceptions, and I think it almost depends on what is contained in the original transparency, in order for the scanner to show a proper rendition.

I like the idea of "scanning" via camera and bellows, similar to what poilu and Orio are doing with their 35mm cameras.

zewrak, thanks for the offer! I will try a few more things on the scanner, AND will get going on a "camera scan" to see what I can produce. If all else fails, I will gladly send the transparency on to you! Cool

Alessandro, thank you for the idea on the black point. I'll incorporate it into my next attempts.

THANK YOU all...I am up for any more suggestions you might have. It is a shame to me that I'm not yet able to show the dynamicism of the original transparency. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an older scan of the same area. This scan seems to have more punch....one thing I AM seeing, is that the very detailed moss fronds are hard to capture in their native beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

zewrak, thanks for the offer! I will try a few more things on the scanner, AND will get going on a "camera scan" to see what I can produce. If all else fails, I will gladly send the transparency on to you! Cool

Cool. Would be fun to see how the same scan looks with different scanners.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about passing a slide around so we could all have a go with all our different methods of digitising? We'd get quite an insight into the pros and cons of so many techniques.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
What about passing a slide around so we could all have a go with all our different methods of digitising? We'd get quite an insight into the pros and cons of so many techniques.

Thumbs up. Someone make a package of
1x35mm B&W
1x35mm Colour
1xSlide B&W
1xSlide Colour
1xMedium format B&W
1xMedium format Colour

and lets start sending it around. The one that can make the package will be in the end of the chain and get it back from the last scanner. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing in PS with levels and color balance (the same thing you can do in Silverfast for sure, but I also think Vuescan could do this).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro, much better! I realize this is a quick fix, but you are closer to the original, maybe a little too much magenta, but closer indeed.

I will be happy to collect the menagerie of slides and negs in the formats indicated, and pass them on. Stay tuned, and I'll mail them out - who would like to receive them first? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro did magic with this scene!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as if it was grabbed straight out of Teletubbies!