Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 55mm f/1.8 Super-Multi-coated lens, sample pic.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Takumar 55mm f/1.8 Super-Multi-coated lens, sample pic. Reply with quote

Hello from Maine, USA.

I am getting into the old inexpensive and interesting manual focus lenses. I like M42 lenses with an adapter Smile

Right now I have a Nikon based dSLR (Fuji FinePix S1) that won't meter my old lenses, but I will see about getting a Canon 10d dSLR so I can use the old adapted lenses in aperture priority mode.

Here is the Takumar 55mm f/1.8 super-multi-coated. About 36 years old as far as I've read. I like it Smile

Here is a sample pic! This picture was actually taken with the Takumar lens :

But we must compare it to something to decide if it is good. I took almost the same picture with my 13 year old Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 lens using the same settings :

So there you have it. One lens costs about $90 while the other costs about $20. Both are from Japan. One is 36 the other is 13. While I have compared many pics and feel the Nikon gathers a little more light, but I would not hesitate to recommend the Takumar. I think it's groovy Smile

Thanks for looking,
Craig

Last edited by spystyle on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:12 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, are my pics showing?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spystyle wrote:
Hmmmmm, are my pics showing?

Yep. Welcome to the mf lenses world! Be careful though! It is easy to become addicted!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my absolute favourite lenses. Its perfect in all aspects. Price, quality, focal length (82-88mm on crop). Its made for portrait work.

And congratulation on having a perfect model to use it on aswell. I also want a redhaired girl as a model :/.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Craig
superb portrait, you have a beautiful model
have a nice time with us

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are wonderful lenses, the Takumar 55's. Thank you for the very nice presentation, and portraits.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ! Thank you for great samples!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the kind welcome Smile

I look forward to trying more manual focus lenses Smile

Now I just need a camera that will meter them ...

Have fun Smile
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spystyle wrote:

Craig

How about a canon with TTL? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rense wrote:
spystyle wrote:

Craig

How about a canon with TTL? Very Happy

I see your TTL and raise a Image Stabilized Pentax. :p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy!

I can get a Canon 10d for about US $220 / 150 Euro

How much is the said Pentax?

Right now I use a "Fuji FinePix S1 Pro" (Nikon based) it will not meter manual lenses. But I like it - it's big. I would like to continue to use big "pro" cameras rather than small and lighweight "prosumer" cameras as I am very tall with big hands.

I am 6'1" tall or 1879mm

My camera with a 50mm lens, batteries, and shoulder strap weighs :

2lb 8.8 ounces / 40.8 ounces / 1.15666054 kilograms

Everyone who handles it says it's "heavy"

But I like it's size for big hands.

I also find that pro cameras have a bigger brighter viewinder than prosumer cameras. The big viewfinders lend themselves well to manual focus lenses.

Anyway, I am hoping to find a camera that will meter the old glass that is big and costs about $220 / 150 EURO.

So I have decided the Canon 10d is the ticket - do you guys have a suggestion?

Thank you,
Craig

p.s. Here are sample pics from my Nikon lenses that are 13 to 25 years old, and made in Japan (though they are AF) :

http://tinyurl.com/4un646