Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with disassembling a Polaroid Land Camera 1000
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Help with disassembling a Polaroid Land Camera 1000 Reply with quote

Hi,
I've got my first "professional" request for fixing a camera... Smile
A workmate came to me yesterday and said that she was told I was fixing cameras, and asked me to try to fix hers.
It's a simple Polaroid 1000, and she took it to the beach. The pictures come out with a variable set of small round and bright spots scattered around the picture. She's afraid that some sand could have come into the camera.
Since she showed so much confidence in my abilities, I couldn't refuse, so here I am in front of a piece of plastic, without visible screws and thinking in how to unassemble it without breaking anything...
Googling at the net gave me no results on breakdown info.

Any help will be very welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC nothing much to be done about that, if disassembly is required. Polaroid were among the pioneers of the "revenue out of consumables" business model, these cameras effectively were free incentives to buy polaroid film packs, and as such, they were glued and not built to be repaired - if the camera was wasted, you'd get another at pretty much the price of the accompanying film.

But you may not need to take it apart - chances are that the sand is on the rollers, which can be cleaned with q-tips and tissue, rather than in the body. And even the latter may be vacuumed if you remove the film pack.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
IIRC nothing much to be done about that, if disassembly is required. Polaroid were among the pioneers of the "revenue out of consumables" business model, these cameras effectively were free incentives to buy polaroid film packs, and as such, they were glued and not built to be repaired - if the camera was wasted, you'd get another at pretty much the price of the accompanying film.

But you may not need to take it apart - chances are that the sand is on the rollers, which can be cleaned with q-tips and tissue, rather than in the body. And even the latter may be vacuumed if you remove the film pack.

Sevo

Thanks, Sevo. You are right. The camera design is damn simple. A trapezoidal mirror drives the ligth beam from the lens to the film. I carefully brushed all the mechanisms at the entrance of the film, and with a small bent brush I got to softly clean the mirror. Everything seems now more clean, but I've been unable to get to the backside of the lens itself, so not very sure if I fixed the problem or not. Rolling a film on it it's an expensive way of testing, so I'll left to the "customer" the decision...
thanks again!.

Jes.