Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon AV 80mm f2.8 on Canon EF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Pentacon AV 80mm f2.8 on Canon EF Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I am about to receive some recent purchases from eBay. They include a Pentacon AV lens, M42 extension tubes and helicoid. I am hoping I can adapt this lens to my Canon DSLR and use it in its full range from close focus to infinity.
Since most of the photos I see using this lens are macro and/or taken with mirrorless cameras, I would like to hear from people that use this lens or other projector lenses on DSLRs and how they adapt it. I would also like to know what is the flange distance of this lens.

I bought those things listed above to adapt the lens and later saw this link:
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Mount-Pentacon-AV-8028-on-Canon-DSLR/
Has anyone tried this? Is it safe to cut off a part of this lens? I have recently bought a Helios 44-2, but I woudn't like to take it apart just to adapt another lens, and have an unusable optic block.

Any help will surely be appreciated.

Josué

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you can find projection lenses with their outer focussing tubes. Those are often easy to adapt.
My Pentacon AV 80mm f/2.8 I glued with hot-glue to a EF-mount bajonett or adapter. And it is ready to go.
My Pentacon AV / Meyer Diaplan with outer focussing tube I taped to cheap manual extension rings for Canon EF, see here at the page bottom:
http://www.4photos.de/test/Meyer-Goerlitz-Trioplan-100mm-2.8.html

Her an old way how I adapted a projection lens to Canon EF:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Som-Berthiot-75mm-1.8-conversion.html

Today I use those helicoids from those macro converters as well, but often in a kind of modular system.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Som Berthiot lens produce nice samples.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Sometimes you can find projection lenses with their outer focussing tubes. Those are often easy to adapt.
My Pentacon AV 80mm f/2.8 I glued with hot-glue to a EF-mount bajonett or adapter. And it is ready to go.
My Pentacon AV / Meyer Diaplan with outer focussing tube I taped to cheap manual extension rings for Canon EF, see here at the page bottom:
http://www.4photos.de/test/Meyer-Goerlitz-Trioplan-100mm-2.8.html

Her an old way how I adapted a projection lens to Canon EF:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Som-Berthiot-75mm-1.8-conversion.html

Today I use those helicoids from those macro converters as well, but often in a kind of modular system.

Thanks for that. Nice photos on your site, BTW.

Seeing the images on eBay shows me that my Pentacon AV is coming with that focusing tube. When you set up yours, could it focus to infinity? I have a M39-M42 ring and a spare M42-EF adapter, so my idea was to stick the M39 ring to it to then adapt it to my Canon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

If you want to have infinity on your Pentacon AV then there are few solutions to that. Holding it against your M42 to EOS adapter you will get a focus distance of about 2.5 metres. So theres no way you can get the infinity without modding your lenses. If you want to do that just grind the tubus of your lens so it will get to the desired infinity. You might have to grind the outer focusing tubus aswell but that's optional. then glue outer tubus onto your M42 adapter and youre done. The second way how to approach your issue is to get yourself a T2 to EOS adapter which is hold in place with 3-4 screws like one of these:
https://www.bresser.de/out/pictures/master/product/1/80586ac82ee0da797bfb45ee3dbc60eb_4921350_m_1.jpg
Unscrew the inside and throw it away. your outer focusing tube should fit perfectly inside. If not apply grinding or get longer screws from your local hardware store. They are M3 screws. If that's the option get yourself a rubber oring to seal your mout from any additional light. Align the outer mount with the adapter on a flat surfance so it wont go beyond Eos mount inside of your body or it will hit the mirror. That should give you an infinity. Seal the space between adapter and outer focusing ring with forementioned oring and you are done. This mod will work for nearly all slide projection lenses with some exceptions.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olmajti wrote:
Hi there.

If you want to have infinity on your Pentacon AV then there are few solutions to that. Holding it against your M42 to EOS adapter you will get a focus distance of about 2.5 metres. So theres no way you can get the infinity without modding your lenses. If you want to do that just grind the tubus of your lens so it will get to the desired infinity. You might have to grind the outer focusing tubus aswell but that's optional. then glue outer tubus onto your M42 adapter and youre done. The second way how to approach your issue is to get yourself a T2 to EOS adapter which is hold in place with 3-4 screws like one of these:
https://www.bresser.de/out/pictures/master/product/1/80586ac82ee0da797bfb45ee3dbc60eb_4921350_m_1.jpg
Unscrew the inside and throw it away. your outer focusing tube should fit perfectly inside. If not apply grinding or get longer screws from your local hardware store. They are M3 screws. If that's the option get yourself a rubber oring to seal your mout from any additional light. Align the outer mount with the adapter on a flat surfance so it wont go beyond Eos mount inside of your body or it will hit the mirror. That should give you an infinity. Seal the space between adapter and outer focusing ring with forementioned oring and you are done. This mod will work for nearly all slide projection lenses with some exceptions.

Enjoy!

Nice tips you got here. Thanks a lot.

I live in Brazil, so buying adapters is almost impossible here. If I buy from eBay or Aliexpress, it will take like forever for them to get here. Seems to me that the best option is to mod the lens. I have a helicoid and M42 tubes on the way, so I will try to assemble a funcional lens using those. I may try to buy more adapters when I purchase more lenses for testing. Anyway, thanks for explaining me about the T2 adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update about my lens:

I was able to make it focus very close to infinity by sawing off about 2,5cm off the back plastic cover of the lens. Had to be careful because it was deep enough for the saw to touch the body of the lens, close to the back element.

With this done, I glued a M42 screw that I had from a broken lens to the back of the lens and coupled it to my 17-31mm helicoid, M42-M42.
Now I have a fully functional lens with a wide working range.

Hope this helps whoever buys this lens and tries to do the same. Thanks to everyone that gave me tips to get to this.

Josué

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon AV 80mm f2.8 on Canon EF Reply with quote

jhayashileite wrote:
Hello everyone

I am about to receive some recent purchases from eBay. They include a Pentacon AV lens, M42 extension tubes and helicoid. I am hoping I can adapt this lens to my Canon DSLR and use it in its full range from close focus to infinity.
Since most of the photos I see using this lens are macro and/or taken with mirrorless cameras, I would like to hear from people that use this lens or other projector lenses on DSLRs and how they adapt it. I would also like to know what is the flange distance of this lens.

I bought those things listed above to adapt the lens and later saw this link:
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Mount-Pentacon-AV-8028-on-Canon-DSLR/
Has anyone tried this? Is it safe to cut off a part of this lens? I have recently bought a Helios 44-2, but I woudn't like to take it apart just to adapt another lens, and have an unusable optic block.

Any help will surely be appreciated.

Josué

i tested this lens with canon 5D mark I and result was not too bad beside some glow and lack of contrast. i dont have any infinity shot but these are the samples:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos you got here.

I have already finished my mods on the lens and it has been working fine so far, as I described in my last post. Still have to test it as a macro and portrait lens.