Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Great bright 55/58mm for reasonable money
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Great bright 55/58mm for reasonable money Reply with quote

Hello,

I had previously a great Voigtlander 58mm f/1,4.
Apart from chromatic aberrations with the A7, it is an superb lens and I enjoyed it.

Now I'm missing a good 55 to 58mm lens that could be a standard on the A7 and a 85mm on APS-C.

I need something bright, but I'm afraid f/1,2 lens will be almost as expensive as the Voigt so f/1,4 may be fine.
I look for decent sharpness wide open and not too distracting bokeh.

I have had a few 50mm lenses and that was the main point, sometimes beautiful bokeh but too much character for my liking.
For example my Minolta MC PG 50mm f/1,4 is sharp but I find it's bokeh on APS-C too harsh and it sometimes glow strangely on full frame. I think the Voigt had much smoother blur than the 50's I own.

Do you know a lens that could remplace the Voigt for significantly less money ?
I think I can spend about $200 if necessary.
Above that, I'll probably wait and buy another since I know it's a great lens.

Thank you for your advices.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually pick up a Canon FD 58 1.2 or even a 55 1.2 for around that sum. Either one is reasonably sharp at 1.4 and beyond....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If don't matter to you the CA, the MC 1,2/58 is a real great lens

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to pick of one of the Tomioka 55mm F1.4's (many brands) for around $50

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
If don't matter to you the CA, the MC 1,2/58 is a real great lens

The Rokkor 58/1.2 is normally over $300, any less, and I would look extra hard for issues, like chips or scratches, or bad mods, as many have been hacked to mount on EF... Which should have been a non destructive mod.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sharp is sharp?

Or sharp enough?

Thats very subjective.

As d1n0 says, there are tons of very similar and very cheap 7-element 55/1.4's around, actual makers uncertain, from the late 1960's-80's. All heavy metal things. Maybe they have too much character but thats also subjective.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Did a few more researches and went on Flickr to see samples.
Some old lenses seems to be quite sharp with nice colors, but I don't like their bokeh that much. f/1,2 lenses are too expensive. I don't mind disturbing bokeh for f/1,8 lenses, but I want a smooth bokeh lens.

I'll probably wait until I could find a new Voigt.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 55-58s are great. Most of them come from early 60s which implies not so great sharpness but great bokeh.

Topcon RE. Auto-Topcor 58/1.4 - an excellent lens with excellent bokeh at f/1.4-f/2. My personal fav. A limited edition of Voigtlander 58mm f/1,4 was modeled after this lens.

Konica Hexanon AR 57/1.4 - very nice bokeh for not much money

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Topcor looks quite similar to the Voigt but it's rare in Europe and not that cheap.

Minolta MC 58mm 1.4 and Konica 57mm 1.4 are probably among the best bokeh lenses in that period, but well I'm not 100% convinced. Looks very good on some shots but not what I'll call smooth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
… I don't mind disturbing bokeh for f/1,8 lenses, but I want a smooth bokeh lens.

How about a cheap and cheery double-gauss then? You could look at a Pentax M 50 1.7 while you look for a Voigt. If it has a particular characteristic, as well as being double-gauss, it is that it produces quite a modern render for an old lens. To my eyes at least. One of my favourite lenses, unless I want heaps of character. As I say, it provides for a pretty clean, modern looking image. Sold by the cart load, hence low prices. It is a 50 however, and not a 55/58.

Speaking of double-gauss, my own personal favourite for bokeh is my common semi-auto Carl Zeiss Biotar 58 f/2. But that might be too slow for you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaeolus's recommendation of the Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 is a lens I can heartily recommend. If you're patient and you shop around, you should be able to find a nice copy for under $200. I know this to be true because I bought one for substantially less than $200.

Another lens to consider is the Canon FL 55mm f/1.2. It can usually be found for quite a bit less than the FD version. A significant fact to keep in mind is that the optical formula of the two lenses is identical. There is a difference in coatings and obviously a difference in the mounts, but using the lenses on a Sony mirrorless, this mount difference isn't going to matter.

I've done comparisons between my FD and FL 55mms and I can't tell a difference between the two under normally lit, bright sun conditions, so I don't think the coating differences are a very big deal, to be honest.

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMouse wrote:
Thank you.
Did a few more researches and went on Flickr to see samples.
Some old lenses seems to be quite sharp with nice colors, but I don't like their bokeh that much. f/1,2 lenses are too expensive. I don't mind disturbing bokeh for f/1,8 lenses, but I want a smooth bokeh lens.

If you want a smooth Bokeh lens you might consider a 50 1.4 like the Super-(Multi-Coated) Takumar 50mm f1.4. Tomioka bokeh tends to be more wonky (depending on what's in the back ground and how far away it is).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few lenses in that range. Some of them i have been comparing here:
http://artaphot.ch/systemuebergreifend/objektive/477-standard-lens-bokeh-i

Among them, i would recommend the following:

* Minolta MC-II 1.4/58mm (sharper than the MC-I version); it is in fact more a 60mm lens, and it has a nice bokeh. Quite cheap (in the 50 USD range). Its bokeh is even slightly smoother that that of the FD 1.2/55mm (look at the link above)!!

* Konica AR 1.4/57mm: quite similar to the Minolta MC 1.4/58. Very cheap, often considerably below USD 50.--

* Minolta MC 1.2/58mm (in fact about 60mm): considerably smoother bokeh than the FD 1.2/55mm, slightly smoother than FL 1.2/58mm.

All these lenses have a much smoother bokeh than the corresponding 1.2 and 1.4/50mm lenses. For the bokeh, the longer focal length (about 60mm real focal length) is more important than the optical construction.
http://artaphot.ch/systemuebergreifend/objektive/479-standard-lens-bokeh-ii

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

If you want a smooth Bokeh lens you might consider a 50 1.4 like the Super-(Multi-Coated) Takumar 50mm f1.4. Tomioka bokeh tends to be more wonky (depending on what's in the back ground and how far away it is).

Yep. Double-gauss again.

EDIT: It's a Planar. Apologies.

Last edited by Sciolist on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the Konica Hexanon 57mm f/1.4s, and I would say it has smooth bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50/1.4 Takumar? Considerably cheaper than your budget and a good enough lens on my 5D mkii.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
I think the Voigt will be my own Christmas present. Unless I found a great gem, may happen, I don't know.