Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comments on Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Comments on Lens Reply with quote

Hi. Could I have your comments on below lenses whether they are good and their idea prices ?
1.CARL ZEISS JENA TRIOTAR 135/4 T M42 LENS*GERMANY
2.Leica Leitz Canada 135mm f/2.8 Elmarit Lens
3.PENTACON 135/2,8 EXAKTA VX* FAST TELEPHOTO LENS*GERMANY
4.CARL ZEISS MULTI COATED 135MM S "SONNAR" F3.5 M42

If I have to choose only one, which one should I choose?

Thanks a million

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You have to be careful about the mounts.
For the Leica lens you need a Leica-adapter, for the M42-lenses another one and the Pentacon probably has an Exakta mount.

I am sure that Attila would recommend the Pentacon 2.8/135 - a great lens which you can get for quite a low price.

The Leica lens might be the best one, but also the most expensive one by far!

Maybe the Sonnar 3.5/135 is the best recommendation - excellent lens, more expensive than the Pentacon but a lot cheaper than the Leica!

I do not know about the Triotar...

Carsten

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sat May 19, 2007 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look this price list

Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar 135mm f/4 a budget lens, quality is below many others like Pentacon 135mm f/2.8, Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f/3.5, Jupiter-37A 135mm f/4 or Jupiter-11A 135mm f/4

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments on Lens Reply with quote

Quote:
1.CARL ZEISS JENA TRIOTAR 135/4 T M42 LENS*GERMANY

This is a triplet lens, ancient optical scheme, nice for portraits but too many aberrations compared to today's lenses. If you opt for a triplet lens I would but the Meyer triplet, which from what I have seen, renders more beautiful pictures than the Triotar
Price for the Zeiss should be around 30 Euros, 40 for the Meyer

Quote:
2.Leica Leitz Canada 135mm f/2.8 Elmarit Lens

The last version of this lens is considered the best 135mm lens ever made.
Price of last version is usually around 250-300 Euros on Ebay, up to 500 Euros in the shops. You can find the first version, which is still a great lens, for much less, like 150 Euros

Quote:

I have the M42 version and it's a very good lens. Not sharp like Zeiss or Jupiter, but great bokeh.
I have no idea of the price, I got mine for 20 Euros but I think I have been lucky, it should cost more.

Quote:
4.CARL ZEISS MULTI COATED 135MM S "SONNAR" F3.5 M42

Very good and rather inexpensive lens, surely a good buy, but I think that it's clone (the Jupiter-37) is better, and also much cheaper
Price for the Zeiss is 80-90 Euros, price for the Jupiter-37 can vary a lot depending on the seller, on average it goes around 30-35-40 Euros but with a little patience you can buy one also for as little as 7 Euros (like I did).

Quote:

If I have to choose only one, which one should I choose?

My advice is: If you want to use it for portraits only, buy the Pentacon because of the bokeh. If you want to use it for general use (portrait, landscape, architecture) buy the Jupiter-37, because it is overall a more complete lens in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Orio,Attila and LucisPictor. You guys's comments have been very helpful.
Regards

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Comments on Lens Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Quote:

I got mine for 20 Euros

I must correct myself here. I got this lens for 7 Euros (!)
It's the Pentacon 200mm that I got for 20 Euros.