Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax G2 with Sonnar 2.8/90 [open thread]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Contax G2 with Sonnar 2.8/90 [open thread] Reply with quote

This is an "open thread" (not personal showcase). If you have this camera/lens combo, please feel free to add your pictures and experience of use. If you don't have it, you can add comments or questions or anything related.

I read people has sometimes problem focusing this lens with G's autofocus, especially G1, but I focus it manually and I never made any out of focus shots this way. So I suggest everyone to focus this lens manually, although the procedure needs some time to get used to.

My G Sonnar 90 is not as "tack sharp" as the Planars, but provides, in my opinion, very nice telephoto images, especially in black & white:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I love the first one!
This sort of comp is so nice in B+W and a silhouette.
The balance from the open water and the rich tones of this little point of land are very nice.
The experience you describe with focus and this lens is one that I had.
I think that I was always trying to use the lens in a close focus situation and the G1 without the firmware update was not up to it.
I like this lens a lot. There is a fair bit of temptation to have one adapted to M-mount on my part.
My understanding is that the G 2.8/90 is the same scheme as the Contax 2.8/85 for reflex.
If you consider that you can purchase this lens from KEH in excellent condition for $100.
It again makes owning a G system a no brainer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Oh I love the first one!
This sort of comp is so nice in B+W and a silhouette.
The balance from the open water and the rich tones of this little point of land are very nice.

Yes, the lake of Garda is a magical place. Very Happy I go there every year and it's impossible not to bring home at least 10 good photos each time.

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
My understanding is that the G 2.8/90 is the same scheme as the Contax 2.8/85 for reflex.

Yes I read that. The MTF curves are really overimposeable. In practical use though it seems to me that this Sonnar G 90 is different, being more similar to the old rangefinder Sonnar and it's copy the Jupiter-9, in that it is a bit soft and rounded wide open, whilst the Sonnar 85 for reflex is more aggressive and sharp wide open.

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
If you consider that you can purchase this lens from KEH in excellent condition for $100.
It again makes owning a G system a no brainer.

G system is a no brainer in any case. Cool I always keep my eyes open for a spare body. I just don't want to lose the use of these lenses.

Last edited by Orio on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contribution to G-Sonnar 90/2.8.
The both photos are old with G1, and film used was Fuji Reala, scanned by Nikon Coolscan IV.

Blue & blue

Green & pink

I do not record f-stops, don't remember them any longer. Very Happy

This lens misses focus with G1 slightly more than occasionally,
I always check distance scale (not too accurate, but can check gross error).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think this lens is soft at any aperture, camera does not focus
correctly or lens might be a (very slight chance) lemon, IMHO.

See my G90mod page: http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/m42_contax_gsonnar_90mm_f28_modified

One guy use this for his MF camera with macro mode (I mean only near
focus), the lens has a large image circle more than 6x6.

Orio, I like the first shot as Andy does.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean only near
focus, the lens has a large image circle more than 6x6)

Shocked Really that is interesting.

I love this first one Koji
Very precise lines from in the color changes.
Plus I have a thing for triangle and there are many here Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, this lens Sonnar 2.8/90 was designed by lete Gratzel
(Erhard Gratzel 1925-2002), who made Hologon, Distagon and many
Lenses for Contax RTS system.

You can see how sharp the lens at f2.8 is (2.8Mb file, full size) >
http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/69121574/original

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a sharp foto, Koji!