Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancolar 50/1.8 for EUR 30, do or don't?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Pancolar 50/1.8 for EUR 30, do or don't? Reply with quote

I can get a Pancolar 50/1.8 in Zebra finish for EUR 30 excluding shipping. It's the shape is hard to determine, but the lenses are in perfect condition according to the seller. What do you think, should I buy it or not? Would the MC version be better?

Any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC is not better, perhaps different I love both. 30 EUR is a fair price especially for this condition. Don't hesitate take it.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/pancolar_001/

You can found samples here with almost every variant of Pancolar.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pancolar lover. Smile

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

Come on spotty.
You just hauled in $2k for the big cine lens.
Try them both and decide yourself Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Laughing Laughing

Come on spotty.
Try them both and decide yourself Wink

Thanks everyone. And F16, just because I earned $2K does not mean that I want to be ripped off with a worthless piece of junk, or need each lens in all possible versions. There's just so much time in my life that I wanted to learn from your experiences first before jumping into another bottomless pit Laughing

Last edited by Spotmatic on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss (Jena) never made any junk, they are one of the most trust able manufacturer so go ahead on any lens what they made.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just levity my friend Laughing

I have no experience with either pancolar. So all I have to offer is a bit of ribbing Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Carl Zeiss (Jena) never made any junk, they are one of the most trust able manufacturer so go ahead on any lens what they made.

Point taken... From now on I will never walk past a CZJ lens before buying it first Smile

BTW Attila, the Kiron 105/2.8 is still available if you are still interested in the swap; if not it goes on eBay with a starting bid of $1 next sunday Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Just levity my friend Laughing

I have no experience with either pancolar. So all I have to offer is a bit of ribbing Wink

I know Wink

Judging from your sig you're quite experienced with MF stuff. Phew, wish I had your setup Cool I just recently got into MF, but I have quite an extensive collection of Pentax AF stuff, mostly primes because I love primes and often use them in MF mode.

My stuff:

- Pentax K20D + D-BG2
- Pentax K10D
- Sigma 10-20
- DA 18-55
- DA 16-45
- Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR Di LD IF
- F 28/2.8
- F 50/1.4
- F 50/1.7
- F 50/2.8 macro
- F 100/2.8 macro
- F 135/2.8 [IF]
- F* 300/4.5 ED [IF]
- Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO EX

Not to forget my most beloved lens, the SMC Pentax-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited. Old quality in a new jacket!

I should not forget the Pentax M and A series lenses I also have, but then the list would be too long Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Attila wrote:

Point taken... From now on I will never walk past a CZJ lens before buying it first Smile

BTW Attila, the Kiron 105/2.8 is still available if you are still interested in the swap; if not it goes on eBay with a starting bid of $1 next sunday Wink

Still busy to do anything with my lenses, I just comment here as a rest in my programming to do. Swap is good deal..

Never left any CZJ lens on left on shelf ... Yes.. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
Attila wrote:

Still busy to do anything with my lenses, I just comment here as a rest in my programming to do. Swap is good deal..

Laughing

Then let's just go on with the deal, I'll keep the lens here until you have time (just drop me a PM by then). And I know what you mean, being an IT guy myself Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshine wrote:
Come on spotty.
Try them both and decide yourself

Come on spotty!
you should go for the new Zeiss ZK Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, nothing wrong with AF lenses if used manually. In fact, all of my macro work is 100% manual, even the ring flash is used manually. The results are stunning, as you can see here (shot with SMC Pentax-F 100mm f/2.8 macro):

But for shooting birds, AF is just an asset you'll miss if you don't have it. Otherwise, there would be too many OOF or missed shots. Here's a few with the Sigma 500/4.5 APO EX (rare in Pentax AF mount):

Sometimes, it's also nice to be able to do "macro" with a 500mm lens:

All offtopic of course but I wanted to show you what results I got with my equipment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
sunshine wrote:
Come on spotty.
Try them both and decide yourself

Come on spotty!
you should go for the new Zeiss ZK Wink

I'd rather have 20 $100 lenses than just one of $2000, thank you Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Attila wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
Attila wrote:

Laughing

Then let's just go on with the deal, I'll keep the lens here until you have time (just drop me a PM by then). And I know what you mean, being an IT guy myself Smile

Laughing Many thanks! Stunning result!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotty
Your pics are one of the reasons I finally decided to try Takumars. I now have the 135/3.5 and the 35/3.5 and love both of the tiny little things. Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
BTW, nothing wrong with AF lenses if used manually. In fact, all of my macro work is 100% manual, even the ring flash is used manually

Whats the ring flash you are using on your pentax?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
BTW, nothing wrong with AF lenses if used manually. In fact, all of my macro work is 100% manual, even the ring flash is used manually

Whats the ring flash you are using on your pentax?

I used a Starblitz 1000 auto macro-lite from Gadgetinfinity in Hong Kong (http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16705). But I found a Pentax AF-140c ring flash which I modified because it's just too powerful in M mode (I put a piece of white paper in front of the reflector to decrease the output). The advantage of the Pentax ring flash is that although it is TTL only (both my K10D and K20D are P-TTL), you still have the flash-ready light in the viewfinder and the built-in modeling light is handy!

But Pentax has just announced a new P-TTL ring flash, this should be available by Christmas (MSRP of EUR 399)::