Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[KIEV-4] Big progress with Rodagon!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: [KIEV-4] Big progress with Rodagon! Reply with quote

The adapter from John (Sichko - thanks!) has arrived today so I could now mount the Rodenstock Rodagon on the bellows. What an improvement over the Industar! Now the slides, although still soft, look much more detailed.
See this sample, taken with CZJ Sonnar 1.5/50:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Orio! This must be towards dusk, you don't strike me as an early
morning person...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Very nice, Orio! This must be towards dusk, you don't strike me as an early
morning person...

Not in this period of the year, true, but in Spring and Summer I love to wake up very early and go to countryside.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Rodagonished (Rodagonized?) samples:

Jupiter-9 :

Sonnar 1.5/50 :

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots, Orio.
What I don't understand is why you use bellows with the Sonnar or the J9?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Very nice shots, Orio.
What I don't understand is why you use bellows with the Sonnar or the J9?

I'm not using bellows with them, I use them on the Kiev-4
I use the bellows with a Rodenstock Rodagon 2.8/50 in order to digitize the slides/film Smile

When I will have the 50D I will make a photo of the setup Smile

BTW I recommend this lens Rodenstock Rodagon 2.8/50 to ANYONE who wants to attempt duplicating slides with camera!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, OK, I see. Now it makes sense. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy esp. of the last picture. I think it sort of shows Poilu's right when he says that best colours are from film. In fact I am hardly ever happy with late afternoon photos from a digital camera, as it seems to lack depth. Here instead the film has recorded both the golden tones of yellow sunlight and the blueish haze in the background. This way, the photo has much depth.

Also, the Sonnar 1.5/50 must get part of the credit for this

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll look at these images carefully, you'll see the fine juxtaposition of "warm" and "cool" colors. They REALLY seem to come out with the Rodagon, as I went back and looked at your images with the Industar as the "scanning" lens. There's a difference that is palpable!

You can see it also in the first image (with the J-9). The left side warmth is accurately shown, yet the right side coolness seems true as well!

I think you've "hit" upon a fine combination, Orio. Would like to see more though.

What lens mount did you modify the Rodagon to?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Sorry Orio, I didn't read your post above mine. I guess you said more or less the same thing... Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry Smile
The Rodagon is a M39 mount, and my bellows is M42, so I just needed the M39-M42 ring that Sichko graciously gave me.
I have a bit of trouble on the front end because the aperture of the duplicating tube is much larger than the Rodagon's diameter, I need to find a solution for this.
So have you seen the quality? The little Roddy is really a precious tool !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a difficult premise to compare quality between Rodenstock and Industar, at least on the web.

But...what I see on the Rodenstock alone exudes VERY high quality.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Great Orio
The Kiev is a funny camera to use after you have been holding your others.
The AX, G2, 5D etc.... All so much different then a Kiev/Contax.
I don't use my Contax RF often but when I do it is always so much fun.
Everything slows down. It's cool. The best part is the incredibly modern results that are possible Very Happy