Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I really wasn't supposed to buy anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: I really wasn't supposed to buy anything... Reply with quote

... at the used camera fair.
But, when I saw a Bessa-T brand new and with 5 years warranty, for only 200 Euros, I thought that this could be a backdoor to be able to use some of the greatest lenses ever made for M and M39 mounts... the nearest financially available chance was a beaten up 300 EU Leica M3, without light meter and without super fast times. My dream (the Contax Ikon) is at 1000 EU height. So I decided to give the Bessa a go, because they are out of production, and it was likely I would have not found another brand new one so easily.
I then needed a lens to try it, and the cheapest available option in 35mm focal lenght was a quite used Voiglaender Ultron 35/1.7 aspherical, which was for sale at 150 Euros. I thought it was not bad for a 1.7 35mm lens and I decided to try it, even if I knew nothing of that lens. It is screw mount, so I had to buy also a M39 to M bayonet adapter (something I would have done anyway, because I wanted to have access to both worlds).
Well, now here am I with a new rangefinder Rolling Eyes

Now I need to sell other stuff fast...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, you did very well! I would say this was too good to pass up and looking
forward to some samples!

Handsome looking set, too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Orio!
I love my Bessa cameras And all the CV products. I think you will also.
This lens I have not tried but, it gets good reviews and it is nice and fast for 35mm.
I think that Koji has it maybe he can comment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting for Koji, I found a guy on Pbase with quite a bunch of image samples.
So far I like the bokeh that I saw:

http://www.pbase.com/brandbeaver/image/83275982

Pbase sizes are too small to tell anything about the sharpness.
For what can be seen of distortion, is seems decently controlled also.
I am curious of the optical scheme compared to Biogon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I am sure you will love it even if you have so many superb gears.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to use it today and made a mess. Embarassed
When comeing home from the fair, I stopped casually at Castell'Arquato and found that there was a Mediaeval event going on - I wasn't aware of it!
So I loaded both the G2 and the new Bessa and went down to the camp.
I was so happy!!! Because I was convinced to have taken great photos with the Bessie. The camp was gorgeous and the actors too. And the place also.
BUT
I found out that the film of the Bessie did not advance Sad
I don't know what happened. I checked the first frames until it arrived at zero and it seemed to do OK. But then in the end I understood that it must have disconnected from the spool, because the film never ended and when I finally tried to rewind it, it immediately did end Embarassed
Now in addition to having lost a great photo opportunity, I have also lost a roll Rolling Eyes because the film has gotten completely inside the can.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it, I had same story with Yashica FR1 , that was my fault seems, I hope your Bessa is fine just new camera new loading...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the film but congrats on the new camera. I have always looked at the new Voightlanders longingly and am looking forward to your results.

Jules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I must have unadvertantly disengaged the film from the spool after the first few shots. Embarassed
I now have tried to load a cheap COOP film and it seems to have loaded ok, we'll see. I tihnk the camera is OK and I am the idiot to blame Laughing

Thanks Jules. Bessies are fine cameras. I have the Bessaflex since last year and although very spartan, it served me well in Budapest and didn't miss a beat. And the light meter was very accurate - an experience that incouraged me to buy this camera - as I suppose that the light meter will be the same as in the Bessaflex. It was really really accurate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are correct about the meter.
It is the same in the R2M and that one is spot on for me.
I like the three led meter also.
The CL hardly is used now because the led meter is much easier to read in low light then a needle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Now in addition to having lost a great photo opportunity, I have also lost a roll Rolling Eyes because the film has gotten completely inside the can.
Go to the local photo lab and ask them to borrow you the tool (I don't know the name in english - it's basically a piece of metal/plastic with a adesive tape on it) they are using to pull the film out before developing it. You gonna lose couple of frames but still you'll be able to take advantage of the rest. Hope you didn't throw away the film can.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I really wasn't supposed to buy anything... Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

That set looks gorgeous, Orio!!

And you got it for only €350,-? I think that was a very nice price!
According to what I have read at the rangefinderforum, this is a great lens. I would love to shoot with such a set.
Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Orio, that is a good buy. I want to buy this Bessa-T for a long time, but didn't.
I heard this camera is really good for Noktilux 50. Very Happy Very Happy

The Ultron 35/1.7 is more than fairly good lens, it is sharp after f2 onward and
small although not small like Skopar 25/4. I am using right now with G2 + Planar 2/35
to compare them side by side informally.

My Cosina lens page > http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/cosinas
advertisement ends.

With M2 and Fuji Reala (personally I like this kind of people photo too, I like Pieter Bruegel paintings)

With M8 (my wife, and her devut here Very Happy )

Last edited by koji on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Koji for the information! I am happy to learn that the lens I bought is a good one.
It's very curious, today I have used side by side the Ultron and the Planar 35 also!! Laughing
Unfortunately the photos of Ultron are lost Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this photo was PPed or not, but if it's natural, then I can say this lens has a very good control of geometry:

http://www.pbase.com/brandbeaver/image/83276005

Which relieves me a lot!

One strange thing I found about it when cleaning the front glass a few minutes ago: it has a concave front glass! Shocked
First lens I ever have like this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Orio. I read whole thread after reading "you lost shots with Bessa",
sorry for that. But that is a life, I did loose a whole roll with my sister's
wedding. Embarassed Since after, I have never messed with film loading for
the last 45 years. Wink

We may have to start "rangefinder" section. Very Happy

Last edited by koji on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
No problem, Orio. I read whole thread after you lost shots with Bessa,
sorry for that. But that is a life, I did loose a whole roll with my sister's
wedding. Embarassed

Ouch! Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addenda:

Orio, all those ULTRON lenses are supposed to have concave element
at the front. That is my (mis)understanding of this naming, though I have no clue
of actual meaning of the word.

Check M42 Ultron 50/1.8 from CZ, CV Ultron 28/1.9, and CV Ultron 40/2 too.

Last edited by koji on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:14 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We may have to start "rangefinder" section

That is a great idea.
Anything to get more people interested in the rangefinder way is super.

BTW your samples are very nice. The first has a very "being there" feel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never used a rangefinder, but that Bessa is gorgeous. great name as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Orio.

BTW the camera is a RF right ? But that viewfinder is very small, isn't it. Or the RF is used to focus and the external viewfinder to compose the picture ?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
Congratulations Orio.

BTW the camera is a RF right ? But that viewfinder is very small, isn't it. Or the RF is used to focus and the external viewfinder to compose the picture ?
Thanks.

That is just the rangefinder. With this camera you need to mount a viewfinder. They had also the version with built-in viewfinder, but is costed more than 200 Eur more Sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

One strange thing I found about it when cleaning the front glass a few minutes ago: it has a concave front glass! Shocked
First lens I ever have like this.

One of my Mamiya lenses has a concave front element also.

Jules