Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fixing a RICOH 500RF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Fixing a RICOH 500RF Reply with quote

As you know, I recently bought Richard a nice Zeiss Ikon Nettar folder camera.
Inside the parcel there was an unexpected gift: A nice RICOH 500RF which needed some immediate care.

As you can see in the picture, the camera suffered a deep impact on the top-front side.
After a careful review, I noticed the shutter and the diaphragm were working and seemed to be okay. The focus wheel was completely loose, so no focusing possible.

The inside looks good, only the light seals are degraded (as expected to be in a camera of such age)

Besides this, the timer lever for the delayed shooting showed that was not operative.
Before doing any CLA I tried to fix what it seemed to be the bigger trouble: the loose focusing ring.

the focusing ring sits in a block around the lens, there is a dented retainer on top that unscrews quite easily:

By removing it, the block containing the CDS cell and the film sensibility selector gets free (but retained by two small wires that go from the CDS cell to the inside):

Now we can see the screws that keep the focusing ensemble in place are loose:

Only had to remove the three screws, put the parts in place and put again the screws. The focus ring now works, and even the RF seems to work too!

Now that it seems that investing in this camera is worth, it will be placed in the queue for fixing the top cover (the deformation prevent viewing the light meter needle from the viewfinder), resealing, lens cleaning and lubricate...

Thanks a lot, Richard!!
Thanks a lot as well to Nikon51 from the Kyphoto camera repair forum who gave me some clues on the lens disassembly.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Jes for this nice guide!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jes!
I've got this cam. It's a nice little thing, definitely worth fixing!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hi, Jes!
I've got this cam. It's a nice little thing, definitely worth fixing!

Hi Carsten!

Richard told me you had one of those. If you keep it, it does mean that the camera is worth keeping Wink

I'll do it for sure... I love these small rangefinders Smile

Have you got any samples in the forum?

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Many thanks Jes for this nice guide!

You're welcome, Attila!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the rest of the repairs!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Jes.

Here you are: http://forum.mflenses.com/first-shots-with-the-ricoh-500rf-t10047,highlight,ricoh+500rf.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Jes.

Here you are: http://forum.mflenses.com/first-shots-with-the-ricoh-500rf-t10047,highlight,ricoh+500rf.html

Thanks, Carsten!. I already watched them, but I didn't remember it was the same camera...

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My chances of using this particular camera are essentially zero. However I do enjoy, and I hope learn from, watching other people at work. Many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
My chances of using this particular camera are essentially zero. However I do enjoy, and I hope learn from, watching other people at work. Many thanks.

You´re welcome, John.
It`s difficult sometimes to find specific info for some cameras, so I try to document everything I find to avoid others the need of reinventing the wheel...

Jes.