Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir 26-B 45/3.5 Pentacon Mount on Pentax 645
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Mir 26-B 45/3.5 Pentacon Mount on Pentax 645 Reply with quote

I've read a lot of reviews of this lens, and it seems that the general consensus is that the lens is
overall 'nothing much to get excited about'. But, of course, this is the Internet age where any
opinion can be believed or not. I'm just starting to scan a group from the Mir that I took on a
recent hike, as well as some 'urban flower shooting' images.

I honestly feel that Mir is seeming to be a VERY adequate lens. At least this particular copy. In fact
the real surprise to me is that the images straight from the camera and scanner seem to be truly
pretty darn sharp. Shocked

I will scan more from this new lens (new to me, that is). I like the apparent equivalent view that it
gives, similar to a 28mm lens in the 35mm world.

More to come.

Pentax 645
Mir 26-B 45/3.5
1/125th second at approx f:4
Provia

Urban Miniature Irises

No Post-processing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a stunning shot.

Mir-26bs seem to vary a lot, from superb to so-so, looks like you got a good un Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh I am jealous, what an eye Laurence

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much guys. Not meant to be a beauty shot, but hey I'll take whatever kudos I
can wring out of the image. Very Happy

Here's another quite sharp image, straight out of the camera and scanner, with no
post-processing, other than downsizing for the Web, and a crop to clean up the borders.
I'm beginning to think that this is a keeper for sure. I feel somewhat lucky that I may
have gotten a 'good' one.

With some judicious sharpening, I think this can show good fidelity and crispness. I do
like the falloff of focus at wide open like this.

The lower right corner shows a good potential for corner sharpness from this lens. It is
actually a little beyond the focal plane, but still seems like it could be not bad at all for
a corner area.

If anyone wants to try sharpening the image, I would love it. Or...anything else you might
do to improve the image. I am always somewhat disappointed with Unsharp Mask, but
don't really have any other tools for sharpening.

Dwarf Lady Ferns
Pentax 645
Mir 26-B 45/3.5
Wide Open
Provia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I love about the blue flower shot is the composition and use of DOF, great work.

I sharpened your ferns with NIK Software Output Sharpener plugin for Photoshop.

I went extreme on the settings using 150% sharpening strength and 50% structure because I felt it worked with the structure of the ferns.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That's a stunning shot.

Mir-26bs seem to vary a lot, from superb to so-so, looks like you got a good un Wink

+1 mine was very average.

oh don't forget distance, close shoot is works well with lesser quality lens too, real challenge is infinity shoots.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Ian, you NAILED the image sharpening, especially with the
addition of some texture! You really brought out the true texture of the
ferns, and gave them some dimensional aspects that I didn't see in the
original. Shocked Thank you! This is how I can learn things.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of help Larry.Some of these modern sharpening utils can really bring out textures and change things quite radically. You can even fix missed focus now to a fair degree, your fern shot had all the detail there, just needed to bring it out. I've been able to transform some film shots of mine that looked a bit grainy and lacked detail, software is really making possible some things that weren't feasible before.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence,great shot of ferns and I agree with Ian Nik have the very best in PP software,I would be lost without it,However OnOne is finally coming up with some very interesting products but I find Nik is easier and more functional.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another variation filled in with CS5 content aware,resized in OnOne perfect resize and sharpened and PP in Nik software

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laurence,Hope you don't mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryss: GORGEOUS alternatives! You asked, "Hope you don't mind". I LOVE seeing people's variations
on an image. I NEVER mind someone doing this, as that is how I learn and get other ideas.

The way you isolated the blue irises is phenomenal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , it seems a good one.
Looking for one for my P6 against Flek 50/4 ,and many say there is sample variation , but the Fleks also .The Mir is usualy cheaper