Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Composition & more
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Composition & more Reply with quote

Hello,
This summer I went on a trip (also) to Sighisoara and took some photos but:

on this one what would be the problem (composition, tones etc.) ?

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

Or this is better ? (bust lowering brightness and increasing contrast)

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

Thank you very much.

PS. I used the AF Pentax kit lens because only with this one I have acces to "wide" view field.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second is much better to my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
The second is much better to my eyes.

I agree but the lighted whites in the center building are a little burnt to my taste in the #2...

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a case where in the old days you'd be dodging and burning the print...

Apart from that, you have very strong large geometries going on, but also a lot of detail... for me the two don't work together here... I'd like the light/shadow/wall geometry with less wall detail or vice versa. I.e. I'd balance out the extremes with dodge & burn, or go all out for the macro composition.

Now that I'm looking at this the third time, I'd keep the bottom for the shadows but hold back the lit wall to tone it down more, not all the way to the first pic, but somewhere in between.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see one where the tones are between the two photos you have shown. I find that the angle of the wall on the right where it meets the building (at a different angle) and then the shadow running down (at another angle) draws my attention all over the right side of the photo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone.

When I took the shot I saw only the two lines in the corners from the top. After I saw that the less seen line in the shadow goes in the right bottom corner.
Yes, a mix of the two photos is s better solution especially regarding the exposure on the lighted wall/tower.

Thank you very much for the tips (and tricks Smile ).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi cosmin

your pic is lovely ;;; )

regardless the brightness which is better on the pic n.2..the composition is ok - to my eyes

if you want to tune some details --

I prefer COLOR RANGE in Photoshop --- choose HIGH-MID or SHADOWS ---( maybe SHADOWS in this case )
the selection will be made..
then some FEATHER approx. 5 px no more -- from menu SELECT
and then let's play with the LEVELS in the LAYER made from the menu LAYER-NEW ADJUSTMENT LAYER ---

the last thing --- try to get more light for the lamp:) it will be superb to see it! Smile

tf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it , if not in PS but in GIMP Smile
Usually I use only Irfanview for editing but if I would like to add some more PP than the GIMP (vignetting the photo, a different black&white conversion, cross procesing, etc.).
Pity that GIMP is not so complex like PS. That Shadows-highlights option is quite usefull.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Cosmin,
my version aims to expand the range of grays in the middle of the histogram without clipping on the highlights: