Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My Saturday Country Trip
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: My Saturday Country Trip Reply with quote

Here are some sample photos from my Saturday Trip

Jupiter - 21M:

Vega - 12B:

Mir-1B with Polarizer:

I have great fun taking those images. Hop you enjoy them too.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nice images! As usual the Jup-21 really shines, but the Vega is quite close!
I must assume that the Vega focuses very close, for you to be able to take those quasi macro shots of insects!

There is a lot of good pictures of animals, especially the excellent bird captures, but my favorite is the one with the bikes! It really has the "Sunday springtime/summer feel", if you know what I mean!

Second favorite is the cat pic - great framing and colours!
Which camera are you using?

I must assume from the bathing people, that Italy is not the only country with hot temperatures these days! Are you living next to the sea?

The combination of MIR (wide angle) with a polarizer hasn't been a lucky one. MIRs are good lenses but one has to be careful about the flares with the non-MC models. Here your MIR has captured a flare and the polarizer made it rainbow-like.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Its hot around here. I live in Bulgaria in city of Varna. The city is the biggest sea port of Bulgaria. And is one of the largest ones on the Black Sea Coast.
I've tried the same shot with 20mm Biotar and he too got flaring. Sad .... Next time I will carry a hood or something with me.

For Macros I use rear mounted ring. The ring is thick about 2,5 cm. Its like EX-25 for Olympus E but this one is for Pentax Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqwall wrote:
Yep Its hot around here. I live in Bulgaria in city of Varna. The city is the biggest sea port of Bulgaria. And is one of the largest ones on the Black Sea Coast.

I used to have a good friend from Bulgaria some years ago. His name was Plamen. He was a friend of my ex wife so we got friends too. A very nice person. I don't hear from him it's a lot. One thing that has brought back memories is the picture of the cat. It has the same warm sunny golden colour of the hay of the pictures he showed me from Bulgaria.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Yep The golden tint i common here. Maybe it because of our buildings. Because they are lightly paintet in very very pastel yellow. The picture of the cat gives me the complete feeling of quiet bulgarian summer afternoon. Where everithing is quiet no people, all are relaxing after lunch. The sun is very warm and the animals are lazy in the shades Smile.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in absolutely awe about your ability to hit perfect focus sqwall. Really brilliant - do you have a secret formula or something? All the bird shots are absoluteley fantastic, bearing in mind how little time you had to focus the lenses.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an old photographer my father told me first to judge the distane to the subject by eye. Then pre set the focusing ring to the coresponding distance. Then to judge what depth I will need for a good photo. And then to set aperture. On all old lenses there is an DOF scale for every aperture. You can tell by look on the lens what dof you have and is it enough to capture the subject on focus.

Example The Seagull Shot. I have put my Jupiter on 15 m ... and aperture on 22. So I get focus from 5 - 30 meters. On moving subjects the small f gives best results.

On not so moving subject my pentax camera has an electronic focus lock on MF lenses which is a killer feature. But often I shoot without this confirmation because it stops at F8 and above. But with proper experience there will be no problem to get focus. Your eye must get to it. And then it will be easy.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shoots, thank your for very useful information about focusing too!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqwall wrote:
As an old photographer my father told me first to judge the distane to the subject by eye. Then pre set the focusing ring to the coresponding distance. Then to judge what depth I will need for a good photo. And then to set aperture. On all old lenses there is an DOF scale for every aperture. You can tell by look on the lens what dof you have and is it enough to capture the subject on focus.

Example The Seagull Shot. I have put my Jupiter on 15 m ... and aperture on 22. So I get focus from 5 - 30 meters. On moving subjects the small f gives best results.

Well, he was a very good teacher! I remember learning that when I was young and my father was teaching me to use his 620 folding camera. I seem to seldom use anything above f11 these days, partly because I heard the image quality suffers with very small apertures and partly because, with our often dull light here, it makes the shutter speeds too slow, at least for hand-held. I've got a remote release and a new tripod on order now so I think it's time I did a few experiments using small apertures with my lenses. Smile

Quote:
On not so moving subject my pentax camera has an electronic focus lock on MF lenses which is a killer feature. But often I shoot without this confirmation because it stops at F8 and above. But with proper experience there will be no problem to get focus. Your eye must get to it. And then it will be easy.

The Pentax image stabilisation system is very interesting, but that's more for preventing camera shake isn't it? The Canon system is lens-based so isn't much use to me!

Yes, practice is the key I'm sure.

By the way, your standard of English is also excellent. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect shots!!n well done!

Quote:
my pentax camera has an electronic focus lock on MF lenses

this is very true I use it a lot ist a focus confirmation.

I am thinking of buying the 1.4 magnification Eyepiece it should hel a lot with focussing.

I had the chance to trie a Pentax K100D the vieuwer is not as good as mine (ist Ds)

Guido

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few shots more of this quality and I quit photography Shocked . You made the images I am dreaming of, concerning sharpness, contrast, low noise, DOF and colours. My favourite is the bike shot.

I look distrustful at my jupiter21 and mumble something like: "If you don't make me such results during the next days I will sell you. Ha!" Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
A few shots more of this quality and I quit photography Shocked

Me too!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Borges wrote:
A few shots more of this quality and I quit photography Shocked

Me too!

No problem guys, now, for that nasty problem of clearing your inventory of lenses, don't call expensive services for that, I'll be glad to take care of the problem for you, at no cost. That's what friends are for! Razz

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of you can get this quality with proper time spend practicing. I have my father on my side to help me. After all his carrier started when these lenses where still the top of the crop. He always told me that there is always way to shot anything with mf lens. So I am trying to learn from any particular situation.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqwall wrote:
All of you can get this quality with proper time spend practicing. I have my father on my side to help me. After all his carrier started when these lenses where still the top of the crop. He always told me that there is always way to shot anything with mf lens. So I am trying to learn from any particular situation.

I too come from the "old school" and whenever I am going to shoot live action, I do like your father does, that is, I prefocus based on the distance. For the aperture/time/ISO settings, I use a triplet that allows me to have the deepest possible DOF at the minimum time needed to freeze the action and at a reasonable ISO setting.
Generally speaking when shooting live action time is king so I reason mostly in time priority perspective.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

The Pentax image stabilization system is very interesting, but that's more for preventing camera shake isn't it? The Canon system is lens-based so isn't much use to me!

The "Shake Reduction" feature on Pentax cameras is really nice feat. With 50 mm (75 mm regardless) lens you can shoot at 1/15 and you will get images free of blur. The goodness of this feat is also expanded by the option to select the focal length of the MF lens. So you can use SR in any situation with any lens. I go clear shots with my Tair-3A which is 300mm (450mm on the pentax body) with speeds 1/50 - 1/60.

SR is ideal for low light and Tele. Not so in macro but in 60% of the cases it improves images a lot.