Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Assorted Trees (Pentacon 6)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Assorted Trees (Pentacon 6) Reply with quote

Ilford FP4 125 ISO
Sonnar 2.8/180
light measured by guesstimate (no meter available as I was mounting the pit viewer and left the Gossen home)
scanned on Epson 4490

The resize has partially killed the roundness effect given by the beautiful lens and the medium format DOF.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3829/alberike0.jpg

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, this is an example of how pleasant a medium format photo can be to look at.
What I find most fascinating is that the grey tones are pretty close and still easily distinguishable - and you have details in the sky! Excellently exposed!

Well done, my friend!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the big tree on the right, a fir? The conifer in the middle looks
like a pine and the narrow conical ones on the left haven't got a clue.
Nice mix of conifer and deciduous trees.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
What's the big tree on the right, a fir? The conifer in the middle looks
like a pine and the narrow conical ones on the left haven't got a clue.
Nice mix of conifer and deciduous trees.
Bill

On the right you have a mix of Norway Spruces (Picea abies) and Silver Fir (Abies alba), the one visible in front is indeed a Silver Fir, so you guessed right, although it's an European tree never found in America (it's close to extinction here too due to heavy deforestation) so you are probably not used to it.

I have to check the lower broadleaves (not sure about them), behind the broadleaves there is another conifer that I also have to check (I seem to remember a Yew there, but the leaves are too light colored for a Yew), and in the far background you have some Black Pines (Pinus nigra).

On the left the long slender trees are Italian Cypresses (Cupressus sempervirens), which are a landmark of Central Italy, while here in the north they are less planted because of colder winters.
On the far left, you can glimpse some branches of an American tree, the Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum).

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen those narrow cypress trees in movies, like "Gladiator"
etc. Nice tree! So the middle tree (2nd from right) is a spruce, not pine.

A nice dwarf spruce we grow in the PNW is the Alberta, or Albertina
spruce, cute tree.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
So the middle tree (2nd from right) is a spruce, not pine.
Bill

If you mean the one that looks bigger in the photo, it's a fir, like you guessed right first - a beautiful exemplar of Silver Fir.
There's also spruces in that part of the park but hidden in the photo.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty sure the big one on the right was a fir, but the one in the
back, just left of center is the spruce? That's the one I thought might be
a pine.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I was pretty sure the big one on the right was a fir, but the one in the
back, just left of center is the spruce? That's the one I thought might be
a pine.
Bill

That one, and the other ones that you can just guess behind it, are Black Pines, yes.