Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Thin adapter for FD to Eos - possible?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Blue wrote:
dickb wrote:
I quite aware of the FDtoEOS adapters made so far. I'm just wondering if anyone had the same idea about making a more useful glassless adapter than the currently available ones. More useful that is to me, sacrificing ease-of-use to gain focus closer to infinity.

As far as I know, the Canon versions are as good as it gets in this regards.

Here is why. The flange of the FD lens would have to be 2mm inside the EOS body for the lens to focus to infinity. As a result, a conversion lens is required to allow infinity focus. The down side is that only certain FD telephoto lenses can be used and there is a risk of optical degradation. The best current alternative to the original Canon pieces maybe these:

http://elefoto.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ENGLISH/index.html

I mentioned quite a few times now that I'm aware of the reasons why FD-Eos adapters need glass to allow for infinity focus. That's not what I trying to talk about. I'm interested in a glassless adapter with less extension than the commonly available 10mm thick ones. The Elefoto adapter is interesting in that it can be used with or without glass elements, but from the pictures it appears to be even thicker than 1 cm.

Well pardon me all to hell, Dick. No glass = no infinity.

Edit: BTW, the Canon FD-EOS adapter isn't all that ubiquitous and didn't see that you had used one. The glass in the FB 2xb etc. is still glass.

Last edited by Blue on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Adaptor thickness Reply with quote

As I said I can't measure anything at the moment as I am not at home. I am in Sudan and my home is Nairobi. I will probably be here for the next month.

Dave E

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured FD->EF adapter's thickness, thus
FD's flange base is a tricky (top), EF's is the bottom at YELLOW line in the photo

Thickness is around 10~11 mm

By the way, I tried this adapter with FD 35/2 + EOS 5D (adapter has correction lens of course) at 30cm F4?

at 50 cm F5.6

at almost infinity @f5.6

Actually not bad for this combination.

So the worst case, you can get the same (no-name) adapter and take the lens inside away. It works as 11mm thick ext. tube,
the most of EOS tubes on eBay has 11mm thick as thinnest, so I think it is very hard to find thinner ext. tube one way or the other.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:

Well pardon me all to hell, Dick. No glass = no infinity.

Edit: BTW, the Canon FD-EOS adapter isn't all that ubiquitous and didn't see that you had used one. The glass in the FB 2xb etc. is still glass.

Sorry if I offended you, Blue. For some reason people appear to find it hard reading what I've written in this topic. I'm not after a glassless FD-Eos adapter which allows focus to infinity. That can't be done. I'm after a glassless FD-Eos adapter which allows focus a little closer to infinity than the easily obtainable chinese version of the glassless Canon FD-Eos adapter.

As mentioned before these glassless adapters are easy to use but add around 10 mm extension between lens and camera. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried to make a thinner adapter, sacrificing ease of use (the rotating ring blocking the aperture lever) for a thinner design. This would allow my 85/1.2 asph to focus a little further away. This lens is a great one for close focus shots with minimal DoF.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
I measured FD->EF adapter's thickness, thus
FD's flange base is a tricky (top), EF's is the bottom at YELLOW line in the photo

Thickness is around 10~11 mm

By the way, I tried this adapter with FD 35/2 + EOS 5D (adapter has correction lens of course) at 30cm F4?

Actually not bad for this combination.

So the worst case, you can get the same (no-name) adapter and take the lens inside away. It works as 11mm thick ext. tube,
the most of EOS tubes on eBay has 11mm thick as thinnest, so I think it is very hard to find thinner ext. tube one way or the other.

I agree, this looks better than most of what I've seen so far. Stopped down it may be useable. Wide open, glass adapters tend to turn the image to mush.

I've got a chinese glassless FD-Eos adapter which is essentially your adapter without the glass.

The reason why Eos extension tubes are a minimum of 12mm thick are the electronic contacts and the lens release pin. These are not necessary for a FD-Eos adapter. The problem with the FD-Eos adapter is the rotating aperture lever blocking ring. This aperture lever can also be fixed on the lens, dispensing with the need for the rotating ring. This would allow the adapter to be less than half its present thickness.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Blue wrote:

Sorry if I offended you, Blue. For some reason people appear to find it hard reading what I've written in this topic. I'm not after a glassless FD-Eos adapter which allows focus to infinity. That can't be done. I'm after a glassless FD-Eos adapter which allows focus a little closer to infinity than the easily obtainable chinese version of the glassless Canon FD-Eos adapter.

As mentioned before these glassless adapters are easy to use but add around 10 mm extension between lens and camera. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried to make a thinner adapter, sacrificing ease of use (the rotating ring blocking the aperture lever) for a thinner design. This would allow my 85/1.2 asph to focus a little further away. This lens is a great one for close focus shots with minimal DoF.

No problem on the confusion. I chased after this idea a good while back and concluded that the only feasibility would be to find someone skilled with the operation of a metal lathe and experiment in that regard following some CAD work.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll revive this thread from the dead. I've made a glassless FD to EF adapter, using a front mount from an FD extension ring and a Contax/Yashica to EF adapter. Glueing and screwing these together results in an adapter 3mm thick, a marked improvement over the available 10mm thick macro adapters. The aperture lever needs to be blocked separately.

This allows me to focus much further away than with the commercial 10mm version. I should be able to shave off another mm or two with a next incarnation of this adapter.