Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 30/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Pentacon 30/3.5 Reply with quote

Found one of these in a charity shop last week, thick with dust and devoid of caps/case.
I had no knowledge of this particular lens but for £4 I wasn't taking much of a risk.
After a bit of cleaning I could see it was in reasonable condition apart from an obvious dent on the filter ring. The glass all appears clear and free of blemishes and I was surprised to count no less than ten aperture blades. The lens looks well used, with paint worn away in several areas, but it works just fine.

This is the lens

We've had almost continuous rain since I bought this so I've only managed a quick test shot with no artistic intent.

I'm delighted with the initial results, so much so that my recent purchase of a Tokina 28/2.8 might turn out to be a waste of money (in the sense that I may never use it). Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice color and beautiful bokeh painting. Congrats! #2 is my fav

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good lens but I think the Tokina 2.8/28 is better, more contrasty and sharper.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a good lens but I think the Tokina 2.8/28 is better, more contrasty and sharper.

+1
Even if it's nice to have both, IMHO.
At 4 £ it's a great deal. Congrats.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Quote:

+1
Even if it's nice to have both, IMHO.
At 4 £ it's a great deal. Congrats.

Thanks.
Well I guess I'll have to test the two of them side by side one day, weather permitting. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my Pentacon 30, congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Penta' 30 a lot, it does colours a treat. When we get a sunny day shoot some flowers, especially red ones, and you'll see what I mean.

That dent in the filter ring will come out if you're careful. I make a former out of soft wood the same diameter as the lens then get a bit of soft wood dowel and use that as a punch - with light taps from a small hammer a dent like that will come out fairly easy. Attacking it with pliers will just mash the threads.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I like my Penta' 30 a lot, it does colours a treat. When we get a sunny day shoot some flowers, especially red ones, and you'll see what I mean.

That dent in the filter ring will come out if you're careful. I make a former out of soft wood the same diameter as the lens then get a bit of soft wood dowel and use that as a punch - with light taps from a small hammer a dent like that will come out fairly easy. Attacking it with pliers will just mash the threads.

I can't wait to get out and try it, if only the rain would stop. Rolling Eyes
I know what you mean regarding fixing the filter ring, mind you I rarely use filters and the generic lens cap fits ok so I'll likely leave it for now. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 30mm f3.5 Reply with quote

You did quite well for £4. I hope you can fix the dented filter thread.
I have a much earlier variant, a Meyer Lydith in a different barrel. That didn't cost me £4.............
Is this 30mm f3.5 the best wide-angle made for the Praktica?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 30mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Neil Purling wrote:
You did quite well for £4. I hope you can fix the dented filter thread.
I have a much earlier variant, a Meyer Lydith in a different barrel. That didn't cost me £4.............
Is this 30mm f3.5 the best wide-angle made for the Praktica?

My CZJ 28mm f2.8 made in E Germany, bayonet, for Praktica is a good lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you considering selling the Tokina lens? Smile What mount type is it?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like this lens when I did try it out, congrats for great deal!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this lens several times since and I'm always pleased with it. I think it qualifies as the best bargain that I've paid for. I haven't attempted to fix the filter ring because I have no need for filters.

@Gerris2
Do you mean me? If so, I'm not planning on selling the Tokina at the moment because I haven't decided which lens I prefer.
Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sample Sonic, and I am always wonder why this lens is too soft.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyonthinh wrote:
Nice sample Sonic, and I am always wonder why this lens is too soft.

Thanks. Too soft? I was pleasantly surprised how sharp this lens was wide open, as the two examples above are. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be mine is a bad copy. Confused

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one up with a Zenitar 50mm 1.7 and Pentacon 50mm 1.8 ( which was heavily fungused and I gave away) for 22 quid with a praktica camera but yours is even more of a bargain. Its a lovely sharp lens with some fall off in sharpness on the upper two corners at times but it renders nicely. Hope you don`t mind me posting this on your thread...

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
I picked one up with a Zenitar 50mm 1.7 and Pentacon 50mm 1.8 ( which was heavily fungused and I gave away) for 22 quid with a praktica camera but yours is even more of a bargain. Its a lovely sharp lens with some fall off in sharpness on the upper two corners at times but it renders nicely. Hope you don`t mind me posting this on your thread...

I too notice some sharpness falloff in upper left primarily, but I've taken it apart several times to clean - maybe need one more time to check for proper alignment. I will be guilty as well for posting a picture taken with my Meyer version (when it still had bad haze).

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its interesting Woodrim, I`ve seen your excellent shots with it here and elsewhere, and the character of mine ( if not the execution!) is very similar, wonder if Sonicscots will be similar?

Its not as off putting as it was after the first few uses and is a definite keeper for me as its a nice focal length on DSLR.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly don't mind you guys adding your images, the more the merrier Very Happy

I haven't paid this lens enough attention lately but I aim to rectify that in the next few days...weather willing Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pentacon lenses have the some quality spreading . But that might be due decentering of the elements.

I had a fairly good copy Wink