Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta 58/1.4 vs Helios 58/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Minolta 58/1.4 vs Helios 58/2 Reply with quote

I am still trying to decide which lenses to take to a dimly lit show @ the end of the month. I used the Minolta Rokkor -PF 58/1.4 @ f2 last time & was pleased enough with the results. However, I got to wondering how the Helios 44-2 58/2 would compare, so I did a couple comparisons with both lenses this morning shooting both @ f2.

Critical focus on the flower.

1. Minolta

2. Helios

Critical focus on first lamp.

3. Minolta

4. Helios

Seems to me to be six of one & a half dozen of the other.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems pretty much a draw to me - but maybe crops show up some differences? I'd take the Minolta, though. It will give an extra stop, useful for either still more subject isolation or a higher shutter speed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minolta seems a bit smoother to me (maybe also a small color difference though, helios seems cooler).
There is a hint of circular bokeh effect from the Helios in the last picture, making the Minolta looking less fussy/easier to look at, but also less focussed on the central element.
Maybe to consider is that in the first two pictures one of the highlights in the window has a different shape: more circular for the minolta and more cat-eye like for the Helios.
So depending on the effect you are after, (smooth and easy to look at or more 'dynamic' and focussed on a subject in the center) this may be something to take into consideration, especially if the show you mentioned features any out of focus highlights and stage lights.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bias, so Helios every time. Straight from the heart and not from the eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the helios for one reason they are both pretty much the same, but the helios weighs a lot less, meaning less body weight and leading to possibly sharper images my Minolta F1.4 is quite a weight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
I would say the helios for one reason they are both pretty much the same, but the helios weighs a lot less, meaning less body weight and leading to possibly sharper images my Minolta F1.4 is quite a weight.

I had to check as I never really noticed a difference in weight. I weighed each with adapter & hood as I would be using them:

Helios 12.5 oz.

Minolta 14 oz.

Not a lot of difference but indeed the Helios is lighter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you Ron, not a lot to choose between them on my monitor but I think I'd take the Rokkor, you might just need that extra stop.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Agree with you Ron, not a lot to choose between them on my monitor but I think I'd take the Rokkor, you might just need that extra stop.

I have shot this venue a few times before & used a couple f1.4 lenses always @ f2.0 & the ISO maxed out. Last time I shot a few frames with a Minolta 45/2 & was surprised @ how good it was, here is an example:

Minolta 45/2 wide open, ISO 3200, 1/50s

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring both. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Bring both. Cool

My plan is to take four lenses & two bodies. I will use one lens on a body & switch to a second @ the intermission, thus two lenses on each body. That way it will be easy to keep tract of what lens was used for any particular frame. I will be using a G1 & a GF1, so I will reserve the lighter lenses for the GF1 because it does not have a view finder. So, I am trying to short list what lenses to take. Every time I think I have "got it" I consider another lens for the mix.

It is the fault of this forum that I have so many to chose from. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me it´s simple.. rokkor

imho helios is overrated lens..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
for me it´s simple.. rokkor

imho helios is overrated lens..

Laf, we have a divided camp here. Loyalties aside, we must try & be objective.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
Laf, we have a divided camp here. Loyalties aside, we must try & be objective.

So don't ask me Laughing Laughing Laughing

But I think that the Helios is a quite nice lens for what you have to pay for it Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose the one I feel more comfortable with, scores with handling or practicality
from what I see probably the Minolta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well simply pictures from minolta lens look better to me Wink

another is my opinion on helios - it isn´t bad lens, don´t get me bad. but when you take picture noone will judge it according to price of gear used, but picture quality itself. helios may deliver very nice results under specific circumstances, but isn´t a lens which can do all jobs. from this point of view I´d choose minolta.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a simple choice. Either one will do. By the way, I have more Helios than Rokkor but this year I plan to get few more Rokkor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, that looks like a tough choice. I like your photo taken with the Minolta 45/2. I have one of those sitting on an old XGM body that is kaput. Maybe I should take it out and try it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokkor, any day Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, It looks like the Minolta is the lens most favoured here.