Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Hektor f=13,5 cm 1:4,5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Hektor f=13,5 cm 1:4,5 Reply with quote

Thanks to Andy I have received this marvelous lens for only 30 USD. Very Happy

It delivers excelllent detail and very nice bokeh also in the highlights. The contrast is a bit on the low side, I think because of the haze in the inner rear element that needs to be removed.

Here's some samples taken with the 50D with the lens mounted on a M39-EOS adapter. Of course these are macro pictures because the lens is for rangefinder:

the lens is detachable from the tube, in theory this could allow to focusing it to infinity on a reflex by adding a shorter tube or bellows. Unfortunately, the thread size of the lens is not M39 or M42, but bigger. So I have no way to attach it to a M42 tube or bellows.
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a more than just good performer!

You mean the thread size of the detached front part is bigger than M42?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Indeed! I expect it to be a great portrait lens.

LucisPictor wrote:

Yes, unfortunately Sad
it should be 43 or something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks promising.
This pair of lenses was a really nice deal Very Happy
I hope maybe someone here will tell us an adapter that will work for the front cell to go on a bellows Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found it's M42, I was rotating the screw badly
yippppiee!!
going out on the balcony to try some long shots!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Detachable front is the elmarit M 90/2,8 of five elements too. It's a great portrait lens.

Leica world, Leica marvelous. Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the light (or lack there of) was crap and the ISO high, but you can see that the potential is there Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first result look promising!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots! The Hektor is btw also known for its excellent IR (infrared) capabilities due to its excellent chrom. correction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, Orio! I can see the potential. Laughing
Seriously, a very good lens!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW --- x 3 !! Absolutely clean pictures --- !!!

thanks for sharing

tf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that this lens comes cheap and you can remove the lens part and mount it on a M42 bellows for use with any camera that supports M42, I'd say that this lens is a no brainer purchase.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked: cheapest offer in *BAY Germany: € 93,- !! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Then Andy has been very lucky!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly this lens seems to go for more than € 150,-!
So, excellent catch, Orio!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Detachable front is the elmarit M 90/2,8 of five elements too. It's a great portrait lens.

How is that so from a 135mm lens? I don't mind having another lens at the 90mm fl if it can be used with m42 adapters. I guess this is a 'decepticon', or rather a 'transformer' Smile

Orio, did you hold the lens in front of the mount or actually have it mounted on M42 adapter. A picture would be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an unusual structure - I have an older Schneider 135 that does the same thing (except the thread is not M42) Nice result Orio look forward to some more when you get to know the lens

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bawang, the lenght of a 135mm lens is not necessarily occupied by glass. Normally, a lens that wants to focus appropriately as a 135mm focal lenght should be distant from the focal plane, well... 135 mm! That is 13,5 cm.
Which is the case of this lens. Most of this lenght is just empty tube, that allows for proper focusing. If you have a 135mm lens for rangefinder that is built this way, all that you need to focus it to infinity on a reflex camera is to replace the longer tube with one that is shorter of exactly the difference in register distance between the rangefinder and the (d)slr. The bellows allow that.

More modern lenses can sometimes reach 135mm focal lenght with shorter barrels, this is obtained with opticals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right.

I have the CZJ Trioplan 135 and the Steinheil Culminar 135; both are like this. The rest of the lens has no optics, its just an empty tube/focusing mechanism.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you guys man! Cool Thanks. For portrait lens, I don't really mind not having infinity focus. I'll keep my eye open for one of these. It will be fun, after all that's why I got into MF again.

Luis, I just look at my CZJ Triotar 4/135 and noticed exactly what you said, just lotsa of empty space.

For the fun of it, is there adapters Leica LTM M39 (like those design for Leica III's), if infinity is not required? I read that the thread count is different on the old Leica lens.

KBZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just recieved one of these beauties but I can not seem to get the tube off. Is it just screwed on or do I have to loosen the small screws first? I suppose that it comes apart between the black and silver parts?
Can it be that there are different versions?

Help needed, so I avoid breaking it.

/Jan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could this M39 lens be mounted on a Canon SLR at all?

Can someone point it out where I could get this type of adaptor at all? I have Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 M39 mount and would love to use it on dSLR!

I thought the lens would have hit the mirror in the SLR and the register distance of the lens is far shorter than the register distance of the 5D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the M39 is designed for rangefinder, than you won't be able to use it except for macro purpose only. If they were made for the SLR, e.g. Russian Zenit, than you should be able to get infinity focus. You will need a m39 to m42 adapter. Be careful, these can cut your finger if you are not careful.

Orio's Hektor are Visoflex compatible meaning the portion with glass and aperture mechanism can be removed and apparently the one he has is a M42 mount when removed from the focusing/helicoid barrel. I think he attached it to a M42 bellow.

I have the Elmar 90 but unfortunately, the front portion is not M42 when removed from the barrel.

I like the IQ from the sample he posted.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation. I will look into this further and really appreciated.