Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bell&Howell 16mm Projection lens on bellows
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Bell&Howell 16mm Projection lens on bellows Reply with quote

This is the front two or three elements of a Bell&Howell 16mm film projection lens; before I separated it it was a 75mm f/2, now its more like a 100mm, maybe f/3. I mounted it on an M42 body cap and it easily goes on the bellows.

I was thinking this might make an interesting lens for "pictorial" purposes because of the narrow DOF, plus all the aberrations, and indeed these get a lot worse towards the edges, further emphasizing the center. And the bokeh is weird also. A deliberately "bad" lens, I hoped.

And so it is, more or less, but the effect is not consistent - the resulting pictures too often are too "normal", and it is surprisingly difficult to focus accurately. Even so, sometimes the effect does come out.

Samples -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful lens
the surprisingly difficult to focus accurately reveal how god or bad is a lens
the funny is that this difference still exist with liveview and I can assume that even AF precision is dependent of lens quality
good lens have the focus snap and you know for sure when you got it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those flower shots especially are gorgeous, that's a great effect you get with the lens.