Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ansco Modico Anastigmat f/7.5 - lens transplant !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Ansco Modico Anastigmat f/7.5 - lens transplant ! Reply with quote

This is a lens off an Ansco folder, from the 1920's as best I can tell, that I found in a box of junk at my father-in-laws house. The camera took 116 film and shot a 6x9 frame. It is in very poor cosmetic condition, but seems mechanically sound. Maybe I will try restore it. It is a very typical consumer-class camera of the day.

The focal length seems to be about 100mm. I mounted it on an Accura focusing extension tube, a very handy device. Unfortunately I have no hood that fits it, and being uncoated it needs one badly. It also is pretty poor wide open - and wide open on this is f/7.5 ! Its best I think at f/16 or smaller, and it goes down to f/45.

Samples -

Note the flare problem hurting contrast, even after PP.

The bird, at f/7.5

100% crop -

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good idea and splendid picture,The color is enchanting

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples , good job as always!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime!

I can´t believe it - 1920 - so good lens - amazing.

Great shoot´s, that´s passion !

regards Peter

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results.

You can try a paper cup or similar taped on as hood. Laughing I mean what, we suddenly get fancy with the hoods?

I'm thinking a part of why these old triplets work well on digital is that the angle of light hitting the sensor is nearly perpendicular... so the issues of the sensor lenses off axis don't get excited.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a sticky gallery on old glasses transplantations ?
This lens is wonderful , luis ! I like these old glasses , especially when I find one of them in a poor state and when I achieve their restoration . From box meniscus to 6 elements , there is an infinite domain to explore.
Do you have an idea of who is the real mfg of this lens ? I found a "Watson Modico" of same aperture (7,5) seems to be british .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right about the Watson Modico.

This model seems to have used both the Modico and Ansco-branded lenses.

Ansco sold a lot of other peoples equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is way cool, Luis, and well-detailed pictures! I placed a bid on your
Accura setup from an Australian seller:

Click here to see on Ebay

Thanks for the tip!

Bill

Last edited by Katastrofo on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats just what I have !

Very handy. I've used this as a focusing mount for a bunch of lenses, from a 75mm enlarger to my 200mm Komura optics ex-Leica-mount. It works very well with @ 75mm+ range, with extension rings to adjust for infinity focus.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I win this!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same with the variable extension tube from Pentax . I bought this accessory 35 years ago in M42 ..I wonder it still exists nowadays ? (Pentax or other brands )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Variable extension tubes Reply with quote

These are available, but I suppose availability depends on the camera mount/system -

Here is an Olympus, looks very nice -

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/telescopic-auto-tube.html

This old Pentax one would be very nice to have as its so short, and would possibly permit mounting of 50mm enlarger lenses with infinity focus.

http://whitemetal.com/pentax/ap_het/index.htm

I believe I also saw a Hong Kong vendor selling a series of new variable extension tubes, very expensive ($200 or more) in different lens mounts and different lengths.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, I won the auction I posted, came to $9.99 plus $10 shipping!

The seller of the Exakta 500 has yet to send me a total bill and auction
ended last Monday morning. Mad

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a very good price !

Its an interesting gadget.

I've had vendors act like that. One wouldn't communicate for a month.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, the guy finally sent me an invoice and the Exakta 500 ships out Monday.
I think if there are any issues, I'll pay to have it refurbed as this model is
uncommon on this side of the pond. Got the bellows and it is a heavy, well-
made piece of gear, hope to do some experimenting.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Variable extension tubes Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
These are available, but I suppose availability depends on the camera mount/system -

Here is an Olympus, looks very nice -

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/telescopic-auto-tube.html

I've got this one, currently in use with a om-eos adapter on the rear and a t2-om adapter and a m42-t2 adapter in front. Sturdy, long maximum extension, but also fairly long minimum extension and not the push/pull system is not quite as refined as a decent helicoid.

luisalegria wrote:

This old Pentax one would be very nice to have as its so short, and would possibly permit mounting of 50mm enlarger lenses with infinity focus.

http://whitemetal.com/pentax/ap_het/index.htm

I've got this one as well. Very nice, sturdy, well built, short minimum and maximum extension. An ideal companion to my Nikkor-O 55/1.2 CRT lens. Just take a few longer m42 extension tubes to be on the safe side and you're set. I don't think any 50mm enlarger lens will focus to infinity with it. Try holding one in front of your camera and you'll see how much space if any you've got to work with..

luisalegria wrote:

I believe I also saw a Hong Kong vendor selling a series of new variable extension tubes, very expensive ($200 or more) in different lens mounts and different lengths.

Some helicoids even shorter than the Pentax may come in handy sometimes, but at these prices I won't order any unless I have a specific project in mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis

See my thanks on the Accura thread. Works a dream with my 80 enlarging lens.

DickB
Seems as though you have fun with thi tyoe of setup too - please put up some samples Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the comments.

I haven't got a 50mm enlarger yet, but I should shortly.

I think that Pentax focusing ring is a fairly rare item.

If I dig up that Hong Kong outfit I'll post it. I think that stuff was for astro-telescope camera mounting.