Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 24/2.8 T4 mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Soligor 24/2.8 T4 mount Reply with quote

I just got this new addition to my collection of Soligor T4 lenses. This series was apparently manufactured by Tokina, as I understand they invented the T4 mount. This series has a close resemblance to similar series from Mamiya, Ricoh, Vivitar, Sears, etc., of which only Soligor and Vivitar used the T4 interchangable mount, and only Soligor seems to have sold the whole Tokina series.

These are my collection of the wide angles in this series so far -

These are the 21/3.8 (on Exakta T4), 24/2.8 (M42 T4), and 35/2.8 (Miranda T4). Naturally any lens can be used with any mount, so I can use these on most of my cameras. I do not, however, have a Miranda. Nor do I want one.

I am missing the 28/2.8 to complete the wide-angle set, but since this is supposed to be identical to the Auto-Sears 28 that I already have I suppose I won't bother.

The 24/2.8 is a handy lens on the crop-sensor DSLR as its almost a perfect 35mm-equivalent. This is mostly subjective I suppose, but I find the Soligor 24 better than either the Soligor 21 or the 35, it flares less than either and is sharper than the 21. And I really can't see the difference between the Soligor 24 and my Pentax-M 24.

Samples, most at f/16, some at f/11

(Vaillancourt fountain in Justin Herman Plaza, in case you were thinking this was a pile of rubble)

Just noticed the dirt on the sensor -

One of the city's streetcar collection on the Embarcadero - notice the destination - "Nowhere in Particular" - the drivers have a sense of humor.

Tourists

And, of course, the bird -

It seems that they will cooperate down to @ 100mm lenses, but they object to anything shorter. No point complaining to their modeling agency I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are some GORGEOUS lenses!!! I like these adaptor lenses, they are fun and can make excellent photos.

And you certainly know how to use the 24!! Sharp, saturated, deep, good composition. You do have it all. LOL about the gull - I find it fun trying to catch them in positions like you did, for Muybridgean reasons Wink

Well done, and an excellent case for the 24mm focal length. (I suspect an even better case for the quality of the photographer)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream - Pictures, the fontain looks great, and the ability of these lenses is great, like your ability to make great shoots.
What Cam did you use?

regards Peter

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me bird #1 for sure Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter - Pentax K100D

The bird composition isn't all it could be - besides the cooperation problem. That darn bridge shouldn't be there !

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific samples. Surprising quality under the Soligor name until one is told they are by Tokina.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with using a wide angle on crop is that this really doesn't show everything about it.
Every lens must have its day, so I shot a roll of expired Kodak 400 with this lens on my Spotmatic.
Scanned at 2400 dpi on my flatbed scanner - thats more or less like a 6 megapixel sensor.
General impression - Its sharp at the center, and at f/8 or so its good enough at the corners.
Not the best lens, but very usable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture of boys in the rowboat is especially good. Full frame does show the lens' weakness. I recently purchased a full frame DSLR and am gathering adapters so I can play around with these oldies!