Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ilex Portronic Paragon 6 3/8"(162mm) f/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Ilex Portronic Paragon 6 3/8"(162mm) f/4.5 Reply with quote

Another cheap oddball !

This is an Ilex Portronic Paragon 6 3/8"/4.5, which came off an old Beatty-Coleman "Portronic" long-roll camera, which was a 70mm roll-film motor-drive camera designed for high-volume portrait photography - schools, military, police, industrial, etc. I think this dates to the 1960's.

My other Ilex lens (5"/4.5) came off a similar Camerz long-roll camera.

This works perfectly well as a bellows lens, mounted using a T-mount (of course). It has enough focal length to permit infinity focus on the bellows, so it can be used as a general purpose lens, but I tried it out in close focus situations. When I get a filter/hood holder I will give it a try in the field.

This Ilex is one of a batch of new enlarger and process lenses I recently received, among them Wollensak and Bausch&Lomb 162mm enlarger lenses, a huge Bausch&Lomb 8" process lens that I think covers 11x14" and was designed for 1:1 reproduction (!) and an Elgeet 10" that seems to be used sometimes by people who do 4x5, though I don't know what system it was designed for originally. I am not sure yet how to mount the last two, they are too big for the bellows.

Some shots from the Ilex -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are stunning luis. I am amazed quite frankly at the DOF and sharpness of this lens. I never heard of it before.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incredible shots Luis! #1#2 are Shocked
you should group all this lens in user gallery, every week you bring us a new Alien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I told sometimes you can make superb shoots virtually with any lens Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this copy in a lot of random lenses with an Ilex #3 shutter. The film side threads were a bit bunged on shutter but I managed to clean them up enough with a razor knife to get the lens to thread all the way in. The jam nut threads on the shutter are 1.911x40 according to SK grimes. The closest tube I could find was a m42-m52 helicoid. Maybe a mm or two of play. I used Blu-Tak to fix in place. Luis? You say you used a T2 but the camera side element on my copy is 50mm in diameter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow for both, luisalegria and jamaeolus!