Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vest Pocket Kodak on 40D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Vest Pocket Kodak on 40D Reply with quote

Apart from looking odd it produces some interesting shots for a near 100 year old lens. I have it mounted in a lens cap and use a helicoid or extension tubes to focus it. It's been adapted to open to F6.8 instead of it the usual F11. Wide open it has a nice soft effect and contrast is pretty low.

Slight contrast boost in PP

More contrast boosting

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of colour ones to show how it handles colour (surprisingly well).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting - did you take those at the "extra-wide" aperture or at f11?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting martin. could you expand on the lens, i have never heard of it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
interesting martin. could you expand on the lens, i have never heard of it?

Not to take anything away from Martin but...
http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/index.html

Should be a good expansion!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://f22plus.wordpress.com/vintage-kodak-lenses/vest-pocket-kodak-vpk-meniscus-lens-on-dslr/

OK, I'll add mine also- three pages - this is link for page 1

Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens does produce a very nice and unique effect. For anyone adapting it for use on digital, I recommend keeping the camera intact; there's a port on the rear of the camera (intended for accessing the rear element for cleaning), open it and attach an M42 extension tube with double-sided tape. This way the whole camera can be mounted as a lens, and the bellows used for focusing. The extension tube I used even happens to give perfect infinity focus with the bellows fully closed.

Pictures of the camera modified thus:

(This last shot actually shows another Vest Pocket Kodak with a Kodak Anastigmat f/8 lens. That photo also links to a lengthier description of the modification in my flickr.)

Some sample shots:

Last one stopped down to about f/16 or so, the rest at wide apertures for the effect… (It's not Photoshopped.) Larger sizes available in my flickr (linked from the photos).

P. S. And before anyone complains about the modification, I'd like to point out that if done this way it's completely non-destructive and reversible, and the camera can still be used with film even with the modification in place (just put a rear cap on the extension tube). The hole in the back of the camera is there to begin with, and the tape comes off without leaving marks or damage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Arkku, that is a brilliant adaptation!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow love the B&W's....
Arkku nice way to preserve the camera but still use the lens.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the anastigmat version. The camera was in poor shape so I have only kept the lens. All shots were at F6.8.

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku: Nice! The flowers (lupines) looks like transparent Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Mine is the anastigmat version. The camera was in poor shapr so I have only kept the lens. All shots were at F6.8.

Are you sure it's the anastigmat you have; the Anastigmat versions were f/8 and f/7.7, and it's not possible to modify them to open up more. The single-element meniscus lens, on the other hand, is around f/11 and opens up more if you unscrew the metal ring from the front.

(Also the Anastigmat lens I have is actually rather sharp, it does not produce a vintage effect like the meniscus.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has 2 elements. It may well be F8 that I achieve. It is possible to make them open up further than the last marking which is for portrait and that it what I have done.

I don't think any of these lenses will be sharp as they're pretty crude.

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. you guys are some something. i have a VERY old box camera. i
will pick it up and get some photos of it for you.