Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first Spotmatic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

About the Praktica MTL3; I didnt find the time yet to renew the light seals, so I didnt use it with film yet. Overall, the viewfinder of the Spotmatic is better, but I like the split screen of the Praktica. The Praktica feels more "clunky", but it does feel like a solid camera.

Loaded with Fuji Superia 400 now, after I did the light seals this morning. Pictures hopefully next week Smile

Btw, the MTL3 viewfinder is not great. I like the split screen, but not the overall dimness.

Last edited by eeyore_nl on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
What surprises me, is that my Spotmatic SPII seems to meter correctly with a modern 1.5V battery. I just checked outside (I have it with me in the car). Middle of the day, heavily overcast sky, and the meter suggests 100ASA / 125 / f/4.5 which seems pretty reasonable to me. Of course the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, so I need to wait until my test roll is developed. But it doesn't seem to be something like one or two stops off, giving those meter values.

This is quite possible. There are two variable resistors in the meter circuit, one is part of the shutter speed/ASA dial and the other is a small semi-circular type used for calibration. If either of these is inaccurate through age or previous adjustments it will affect the needle position in the V/F. It's possible the calibration has been adjusted in the past, but as I said in the other post, often there isn't enough adjustment available in order to calibrate the meter accurately. You need to check it accurately in at least three different light levels against a good lightmeter.

Here is a pic of the calibration resistor (below the section of red tape), with the pointer set mid-way. The camera has a hole in the cover underneath the film rewind handle and you can adjust the pointer through this hole with a needle or a bent paper clip. If you need to adjust it, set the camera at the speed and aperture settings given by the separate lightmeter and adjust the pointer to centre the needle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
djmike wrote:
I own SPF but the shutter button is hard to press. I have to press all way down/inside to release it. You might need a addtional "soft release botton" that can find at bidding site. Mike

Hi Mike, the reason for this is that the little loose stud under the shutter button has fallen out or was forgotten when the cover was last replaced. I have a spare one I can send you and it's VERY simple to replace if you are able to remove the camera top cover. I have bumped up a thread in the Equipment Care section which tells you how to remove the cover. Send me a PM with your address if you want to go ahead. Alternatively I could repair it for you, but the postage for the camera both ways will be much more expensive.

Peter, good advice. Let me get rid of this roll and try to remove the cover and see what's going on there. I appreciate. Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a spotmatic and a praktica ltl 3. the ltl has a brighter viewfinder and bigger fresnel target. the spotmatic has the wonderful fresnel/split dot. the spot fits me better, and it is soooo much easier to load ... Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, Thank you for posting that extremely informative photo. It helps a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Peter, Thank you for posting that extremely informative photo. It helps a lot.

Thanks Jussi, I'm pleased. This was one of the cameras I adapted with Jes's brilliant help, you can see the two extra resistors he prepared for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after having used the Spotmatic and a Praktica next to each other for some time, it's clear; the Spotmatic is a much nicer camera. The Praktica mirror mechanism shakes the whole camera, and the Spotmatic feels much more refined. I haven't touched my 300V since I got the SPII Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread I know but I've just joined the Spotmatic gang and got two SPs Very Happy

I'm keen to use a silver oxide battery and found out from other users that the Renata 394 (SR936SW) was a suitable replacement. I put one in and the meter doesn't seem to respond when I press up the DOF preview button.
Am I missing something or is it possible that the battery may be shorting in the compartment due to being a slightly different size from the original...?
Maybe I have a problem with the meter circuit but is it likely that both my SPs would have failed in this way...?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. I have a Weston Master V lightmeter but it would be good to know the built-in meter is working correctly.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what that battery looks like But if it physically fits in the compartment it should be OK. The normal SR44 cells are too fat. The correct silver oxide cell for the SP and SPII is the 387S, which has an insulating collar like the old mercury cells the Spottie originally used:

If your battery fits OK, maybe you've got the polarity wrong. The + side of the battery goes into the compartment first. The - side is in contact with the compartment cover.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a battery and adapter from the small battery company (in the UK). The adapter is not cheap but you only but it once.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The 394 fits well - not too fat but the sides of the cell are probably in contact with the sides of the compartment...I think I need an insulating collar.
Maybe a rubber O-ring might do the job - I'll have a search.

I did have it positive side into the camera body.

Confused

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

The 394 fits well - not too fat but the sides of the cell are probably in contact with the sides of the compartment...I think I need an insulating collar.
Maybe a rubber O-ring might do the job - I'll have a search.

I did have it positive side into the camera body.

Confused

I use 'brown' hearing aid batteries with an O-ring. These are very inexpensive, ~$1 apiece, and seem to last about 4 months. They are very close to the same depth as the original batteries, just narrower in diameter.