Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rating system
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Rating system Reply with quote

From now we have a rating system. My goal with this mod to keep before eyes most interesting posts. Please rate a post if you think that is more interest than others also rate those picture what you think best ones.

You can rate every posts at bottom of posts on left hand side click on No Rate or Rating link.

On every topic page at top of page you can find a drop-down box where you find highest ranked posters, topics and users.

Please use it and let me know your thoughts! Many thanks!


PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least I would call it "Rate it" and not "No Rate"


PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
At least I would call it "Rate it" and not "No Rate"


Yes, right. Thanks! Author made same label in two places, Rate it is fine here and No rate find an another place. I will find both and change to right ones.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rating system worked for me.

Can I also rate Berlusconi with this tool? Laughing


PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
rating system worked for me.

Can I also rate Berlusconi with this tool? Laughing


No below zero on scale. Laughing


PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please rate some!


PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess im not quite sure why we want to compete for ratings with our posts. i very much enjoyed the informal and conversational nature of the forum, where we could put up test shots, or just something of personal interest. and thus my posts probably have no value at all, so mark them all 0 like berlusconi.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people obviously need that, so why not having it.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i guess im not quite sure why we want to compete for ratings with our posts. i very much enjoyed the informal and conversational nature of the forum, where we could put up test shots, or just something of personal interest. and thus my posts probably have no value at all, so mark them all 0 like berlusconi.


Some of them very important like Panorama guide by Tobias, easier to find them later if we have a rank list. Also on images some shoots is really important like best slide and color film shoots , these are help a lot to introduce to digital users film can show a beautiful world and they should start again to use film. This is simple bookmarking not competition to each others.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This is simple bookmarking not competition to each others.


and that's why we have a bookmarking system, no?

ive spent almost 50 years of my life being graded for one thing or another; to be graded--and to grade others--on a social site where people converse about a hobby is just not appealing to me.

we have a bookmark system and an informal 'grading' system, which is number of replies! when topics are of general interest, they generate lots of replies; if not, then not, but maybe still get some replies of the very few who are interested in that topic. it there are seminal topics of universal interest, then the forum leaders should set them aside in a place where others can access them in the future.

as orio said to the recent member who changed the price on his planar and sonnar lenses by 5 euros to regain the top spot in the marketplace: 'we are not stupid. we read your post and if there was interest there would have been replies'. but to specially denote them with 'failing grades' does not seem pleasant to me.

of course, the forum leaders have every right to do as they please, but i do not see this as a positive step.


Last edited by rbelyell on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have opposite opinion Tony, certainly perhaps I am wrong let we see.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i very much respect your opinion attila and remain very grateful for your generosity of advice and critiques to me.

i myself, though, do not care about my grades, and i am loathe to grade others.


Last edited by rbelyell on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i very much respect your opinion attila and remain very grateful for your generosity of advice and critiques to me.


Thank you !


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience forum rating systems usually reflect social relations aned posting frequency much more than content quality - nice or lovable prolific posters with no particular competence will usually be among the top rated, while a rarely visiting expert with profound scientific input might get a low or even negative (where possible) rating for contradicting some less well informed, but very popular regular.

Unless all of us use ratings very rationally (and a bit anti-socially), they will fail at least in so far as they are supposed to be a aid in finding relevant information.

But on the other hand they might be useful to give new members a faster feeling for the degree of respect and friendship each oldtimer has earned - possibly useful in a international forum where more subtle hints in the conversation will often not make it past the language barrier.

Sevo


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To test I just rated Sevo post above (high you should know).
What does the "bias" mean in the console for rating ?
Also, can one rate their own posts?
Can we set up to rate only the full thread or topic rather than individual posts?
If I bring a note from my mom. Can I go home early from class today? Wink


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Can we set up to rate only the full thread or topic rather than individual posts?

+1

I don't think we need a rating system. But if it is necessary, we should rate the whole thread.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
In my experience forum rating systems usually reflect social relations aned posting frequency much more than content quality - nice or lovable prolific posters with no particular competence will usually be among the top rated, while a rarely visiting expert with profound scientific input might get a low or even negative (where possible) rating for contradicting some less well informed, but very popular regular.


I agree completely.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, an interestingness level to the threads would be better maybe than to individual posts.

Btw, what's that Bias level?


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
If I bring a note from my mom. Can I go home early from class today? Wink


exactly! this is the classic case of a solution in search of a problem. this system seems to me very much akin to the idea of an 'Ignore List', an idea advocated by some whereby they could systemically 'ignore' certain posters. i find this development extremely disappointing and the idea of such a list, as andy's above quote suggested, harkening back to high school.

again, if there is a topic of universal interest, forum leaders can denote it and find a special place for it. otherwise i have no interest in being graded and less interest in grading others. unfortunately, a system like this significantly diminishes my interest in the forum.


Last edited by rbelyell on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
I agree, an interestingness level to the threads would be better maybe than to individual posts.

Btw, what's that Bias level?


No idea for me too what does it mean Bias. Also need to study how topic rating possible. Current bookmark system made for own purposes I think this rating system pretty good for shared bookmarks. We have many valuable information if we mark them with rating system these information are not lost in mass volume of posting. This is my goal with this rating system.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
We have many valuable information if we mark them with rating system these information are not lost in mass volume of posting. This is my goal with this rating system.


Yes, I think the goal is good.

Maybe if a topic rating would always rate the first post in the topic, it would work too. That would mean that still the post rating functionality is used, but with a bit of extra logic. Is that possible?


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attila, that may be your intent, but it will not develop that way. nice photos of no particular great import, but published by a popular member will receive high 'grades'; really meaningful analysis by an infrequent guest will not.

the idea of 'quality' is not a democratic concept; if it were mcdonalds hamburgers would be the highest quality meal we could get. the forum leaders are among the best photographers. if you all want to denote the most meaningful threads and put them in a findable place, that's great. this grading system will not accomplish that and will more likely just piss people off.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
attila, that may be your intent, but it will not develop that way. nice photos of no particular great import, but published by a popular member will receive high 'grades'; really meaningful analysis by an infrequent guest will not.

the idea of 'quality' is not a democratic concept; if it were mcdonalds hamburgers would be the highest quality meal we could get. the forum leaders are among the best photographers. if you all want to denote the most meaningful threads and put them in a findable place, that's great. this grading system will not accomplish that and will more likely just piss people off.


I will rename it to bookmark system and should every body will satisfied Wink


PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
Attila wrote:
We have many valuable information if we mark them with rating system these information are not lost in mass volume of posting. This is my goal with this rating system.


Yes, I think the goal is good.

Maybe if a topic rating would always rate the first post in the topic, it would work too. That would mean that still the post rating functionality is used, but with a bit of extra logic. Is that possible?


I think we can rate (mark) only posts. If anybody want to rate (mark) topic , do on first post.


PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This system will evolve into something very useful.
With little time to browse it's nice to be able to see what others think useful.
Razz