Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica 35/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Leica 35/2.8 Reply with quote

Love at the first sight. It's a delight to handle - high quality material, high precision machine. The result is superb, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the first picture.

This lens was my first MF lens ever. Now I'm looking for Summicron 35/2 to use on my R8.

To my 5D I already have the Distagon 35/1.4.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 & #3 really look good. This lens seems to perform well. What processing was done here?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb indeed! It's no doubt to Leica.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suberb images! It was also my first MF lens and one of my all-time favorites:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results! I really like them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Martin: in the #3 I used yellow filter and push the contrast by copied-clone the layers and stacked them in 'hard light' blending mode. In #1 I crop it a bit and darken some unecessary details with local 'burn' tool.

@ Integrale: I like the dog picture, it looks '3D'. What camera did you use? Canon 5D?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
#1 & #3 really look good.

+100

#3 is so beautiful and #1 is simply stunning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yadisl wrote:
@ Integrale: I like the dog picture, it looks '3D'. What camera did you use? Canon 5D?

Thank you! It's a Nikon D700 and I converted the 35mm Elmarit (as well as several other Leitz/Leica lenses) with Leitax F-mount.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is fantastic. Wonderful lens.

#2 has well preserved reds despite light, I guess you exposed with a less aggressive red channel and got more saturation from the blue that way? Great exposure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera allows adjustment to individual RGB channels? Before exposure? I was unaware of that.

That Leica lens is magnificent and I too love #1

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is a stunning lens going by the images. Have you got a pic of the lens and how much do they cost to buy used?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
The camera allows adjustment to individual RGB channels? Before exposure? I was unaware of that.

I am sorry my language barrier introduced a misunderstanding here. I was referring to a personal working method preference, where I spot meter for reds, thus overcoming Nikon DSLR's aggressive red channel (personal opinion) in matrix metering. Spot meter for reds and then adjust curves in post-processing to achieve wanted saturation for blue channel.

Nikon's Picture Control and edit/install custom color profiles is a very useful feature, but it would be even more useful if it was possible to install profiles where I could adjust individual color channel input. This is especially true for black/white photography. This way, I could use more liberty for out-of-camera results.

Btw, this feature is very badly covered in the manual of the D3 (and Capture NX) but it is very useful for those of us who want out-of-camera results when shooting RAW.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is a terrific photo!

Elmarit 35 is a super lens, I have it too.
The best photo I took with it, was a portrait. I like taking portraits with the 35mm lenses and the Elmarit is the best 35mm at portraits:

http://forum.mflenses.com/leitz-elmarit-2-8-35-t166,highlight,three+friends.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is incredible. I think I have to rob someone, as I don't have the funds to buy this lense at the moment. I'll blame it on you.

Thanks for showing

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible images, really striking Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madamasu wrote:
#1 is incredible. I think I have to rob someone, as I don't have the funds to buy this lense at the moment. I'll blame it on you.

Thanks for showing

Thomas

Very Happy

Actually I just do matrix metering (or whatever the name) on Olympus E510. It seems like the meter works great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the Leica-R lens?

Anyone know the difference between the 'R' lenses and the 'M' lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyw wrote:

Well, first of all, the R-series is for SLRs and the M-series for rangefinders.
The constructions are different, so that you cannot compare a Summicron-R with a Summicron-M.
The M-lenses have an even higher reputation than the already well respected R-lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh that's cleared that up Very Happy

Thanks. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyw wrote:

usually the Ms go for much more on evilBay than the Rs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures!

Is it the Elmarit R 35mm F2,8?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:

usually the Ms go for much more on evilBay than the Rs.

Everywhere, not only on evilbay.

And also new. Quick example:

- Leica Summicron M 35mm f/2: 1600 GBP
- Zeiss Biogon ZM 2/35: 600 GBP

That's a neat 1000 GB Pounds less for the Zeiss lens, same destination, same focal lenght, same speed, same new.

-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of the lens on E510

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote