Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pre-Ai/Non-Ai lens On D50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Pre-Ai/Non-Ai lens On D50 Reply with quote

I have been googling for information about the safety using those lens on D50 Body, Some try it and no problem but some said NOT TO try.

Some also Said D40/X,D60,D3000,D5000 safe to use those lens, BUT when I read the manual guide (D40+D60) nikon said not compatible with those lens.

So this makes me more confuse, any more Info ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had D50 NON-AI lens mountable, but you can't turn aperture ring. I had to set aperture before mount lens on camera body, with this inconvenience lenses are usable on D50.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-Ai/Non-Ai lens On D50 Reply with quote

sky1174 wrote:
I have been googling for information about the safety using those lens on D50 Body, Some try it and no problem but some said NOT TO try.

Some also Said D40/X,D60,D3000,D5000 safe to use those lens, BUT when I read the manual guide (D40+D60) nikon said not compatible with those lens.

Its correct that D40/X,D60,D3000,D5000 all have a style of minimum-aperture sensing switch which is not harmed by mounting a pre-AI lens. It pushes into the body, rather than sliding round.

The sliding style will jam and eventually break as the aperture ring is turned.

Nikon over-simplify, and since the pre-AI lenses (and AI and AIS) won't meter, that say that only electronic lenses (AF, AF-I, AF-S) are "compatible".

The D50 has the slide-around style switch, so it's not compatible. You may get lucky (as Atilla says, you might be able to pre-select the aperture then mount the lens and it will jam but not actually break the switch. For a while, at least.

Better to use AI or AIS lenses, or pre-AI lenses that have been converted to AI.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Its a sad world when Ken Rockwell is more accurate than Nikonians.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had D50 NON-AI lens mountable, but you can't turn aperture ring. I had to set aperture before mount lens on camera body, with this inconvenience lenses are usable on D50.

So the conclusion I can use Pre-ai lens but with precaution NOT TO TURN the aperture ring ?

Correct me if I am wrong, I accidently (my mistake) buy pre-ai lens on ebay so I hope I Won't waste the lens and $.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-Ai/Non-Ai lens On D50 Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

Its correct that D40/X,D60,D3000,D5000 all have a style of minimum-aperture sensing switch which is not harmed by mounting a pre-AI lens. It pushes into the body, rather than sliding round.

The sliding style will jam and eventually break as the aperture ring is turned.

Nikon over-simplify, and since the pre-AI lenses (and AI and AIS) won't meter, that say that only electronic lenses (AF, AF-I, AF-S) are "compatible".

The D50 has the slide-around style switch, so it's not compatible. You may get lucky (as Atilla says, you might be able to pre-select the aperture then mount the lens and it will jam but not actually break the switch. For a while, at least.

Better to use AI or AIS lenses, or pre-AI lenses that have been converted to AI.

Do U have any picture/diagram which part of the mount that could break if I turn the aperture ring ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor Pre-Ai lenses that have not been modified should not be mounted as they WILL damage the camera. 3rd party lenses in Nikon mount (Vivitar Soligor, etc) can be mounted & used even if they are Pre-Ai. The reason being, on Nikkor Pre-Ai lenses , the aperture ring extends past the mount whereas most 3rd party Nikon mount lenses are flush with the mount. I moderate a group on Flickr devoted to using MF lenses on Nikon DSLR's & this topic comes up frequently...I have a D70s, which like your camera, won't meter with MF lenses either. I have mounted & used several Pre-Ai mounts. The aperture ring moves freely. Some 3rd party Pre-Ai lenses may fit a bit too tightly, in which case, I would suggest not mounting them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
Nikkor Pre-Ai lenses that have not been modified should not be mounted as they WILL damage the camera. 3rd party lenses in Nikon mount (Vivitar Soligor, etc) can be mounted & used even if they are Pre-Ai. The reason being, on Nikkor Pre-Ai lenses , the aperture ring extends past the mount whereas most 3rd party Nikon mount lenses are flush with the mount. I moderate a group on Flickr devoted to using MF lenses on Nikon DSLR's & this topic comes up frequently...I have a D70s, which like your camera, won't meter with MF lenses either. I have mounted & used several Pre-Ai mounts. The aperture ring moves freely. Some 3rd party Pre-Ai lenses may fit a bit too tightly, in which case, I would suggest not mounting them.

Good info!

Hope everything is alright ... Scott? Didn't see you post a lot recently.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott for the info, Yes my lens is Viv 28mmF2.5 Pre-ai hope can mount safely

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Scott's on the mark.

FWIW, I noticed something about D50 compatibility on John White's website. For those who don't know of Mr. White, he does modifications which allow old Nikkors (pre-AI), to work on newer cameras. I just got seven of my beloved old Nikkors back from John, and his work is splendid. They work on F, F2, and D700 with no trouble whatsoever.

Anyway, here is his reference to D50 compatibility, the subject of this thread:

"The D80, D70, D50, D100 and Fuji S1, S2 and S3 need my Type B conversion ($35) in order to fit on the body. Unfortunately, there will be no TTL metering since those bodies require the CPU in the AF lenses to "complete the circuit." Nevertheless, you can make the aperture and shutter speed settings using guesswork or an external meter and check your exposure almost immediately on the monitor."

John's Red Note One, below speaks to the risk of mounting a non AI lens onto a D50:

"Do not attempt to mount the lens [without conversion]. Red Note 1: Converting Old lenses to fit on these "Electronic Coupling Only" bodies [D90, D80, D70s, D50, D70, N75, D100, N55, N80, N65, N60, Fuji S1, Fuji S2, Fuji S3, N50 N5005, N4004] is possible, but there is additional work involved. I call this a Type B conversion. Even then, my conversion only allows the lens to be mounted safely. You will still not be able to measure ambient light, although aperture and shutter speed can be set manually."

Just use a good handmeter, like from Gossen or Sekonic, I say.

Here is his page with the compatibility chart for most Nikons:
http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sky1174 wrote:
Attila wrote:

So the conclusion I can use Pre-ai lens but with precaution NOT TO TURN the aperture ring ?

I think you risk breaking the mount every time you mount such a lens, even if you don't turn the aperture ring. The D50 is not compatible with pre-AI lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote