Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax 645 Lenses: 150/3.5 55/2.8 Arsat 30/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Pentax 645 Lenses: 150/3.5 55/2.8 Arsat 30/3.5 Reply with quote

Here are some very quick scans. I will be adding to this thread as I finish any post-processing, sharpening, etc. I will also add full crops for comparisons of each lenses attributes.

For right now though, here are the basic scans, cropped only. It's looking like the Arsat just might be a decent performer, but I will know more when I re-scan at high resolutions and compare full crops.

Pentax 150/3.5
Provia

Pentax 55/2.8
Provia

Arsat 30/3.5
Provia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results! The colors of the Arsat seem different (warmer tone)?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful landscaspes, Larry !

I am just thinking ... those blacks are "really" black. There is no texture to recognise. Is it a problem of this film or problem of scanning, or was the sunlight so harsh there ?

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:

I am just thinking ... those blacks are "really" black. There is no texture to recognise. Is it a problem of this film or problem of scanning, or was the sunlight so harsh there ?

Tobias, in my experience slide film is very hard to scan. It also has a narrow exposure latitude. I get better results with color negative film...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one with the 150 to me looks like an optical illusion - too much detail for such a large object! So my brain keeps making it into small crystal of something. Wink Shows how clear the air is and how good the lens.

These are lovely pics, and I'm very interested in your results as now that I have a P645 I need them lenses...

I'm not sure the Arsat is warmer, looking at the sky the 55 has the most purple...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breathtaking ! Seems Arsat perform very well!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Nice results! The colors of the Arsat seem different (warmer tone)?

I think the Arsat does show a bit of warming. I'm just now scanning some more Arsat slides, and the preliminary "diagnosis" through the light box is that there is more warmth than the Pentax 150/3.5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:

Cheers
Tobias

The sunlight was extremely harsh....however, there is more than just black in the original slide. I will be scanning with more "finesse" for the next round of image. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
The one with the 150 to me looks like an optical illusion - too much detail for such a large object! So my brain keeps making it into small crystal of something. Wink Shows how clear the air is and how good the lens.

These are lovely pics, and I'm very interested in your results as now that I have a P645 I need them lenses...

I'm not sure the Arsat is warmer, looking at the sky the 55 has the most purple...

Unfortunately, I fouled up here. In my hurry to put a baseline group out, I picked the transparency that has too much polarization with the 55/2.8. I will scan the CORRECT one this next round. Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Breathtaking ! Seems Arsat perform very well!

I think these have turned out to be examples of poor scanning technique. The 150/3.5 looks soft, compared to the slide. Embarassed

Regading the Arsat, I'll put a different image, with lots of closeup detail, into this mix to show the Arsat's rendition.

Should have that Arsat slide scanned within the hour.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notwithstanding these examples, for better or worse, the Pentax-A 55/2.8 is absolutely the best lens I have. The Pentax-A 150/3.5 is not far behind, though. The "normal" Pentax-A 75/2.8 is already proven as a wonderful lens.

I'll post a separate 55/2.8 slide as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info re. the lenses. And Priceless info re. technique - how often do you 'bracket' polarizer orientation? What a great idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Great info re. the lenses. And Priceless info re. technique - how often do you 'bracket' polarizer orientation? What a great idea.

Hi Nesster: I only bracket for polarization when I'm way out in the backcountry, knowing I may not get another chance. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them, especially 3rd one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second is my favorite. Congrat, Larry