Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A few hawk shots with my $9.95 Soligor 200/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: A few hawk shots with my $9.95 Soligor 200/3.5 Reply with quote

Picked up this lens in mint condition for $9.95 on eBay. Not heard anything good about it, but for the price it was a no brainer. I wanted to see if the focal length would be something I might want to use. Now I can look for something sharper (open to suggestions).

Here are a few shots of an immature hawk in my back garden. I am not sure if it is a Cooper's Hawk or a Red-shouldered Hawk. Taken with a Lumix L1

This one is a bit off, but I included it for help in ID.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, now that's a bargain and they are getting rarer

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work and results.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm no expert, I would say it's a Red-shouldered.

-The Cooper's is listed as "uncommon" in one of my books, while the Red-shouldered is "one of the most common hawks of eastern North America"
-The Cooper's has a more pronounced cap on the head, even while immature

Of course I could be wrong...I'm just an amateur Cool

You must have been close to fill the frame with only a 200mm lens Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red-shouldered??? Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarassed oh you mean the bird, not the lens Laughing

A very nice result indeed. Who sez $10 is not worth $10 any more...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Wow, now that's a bargain and they are getting rarer

patrickh

Patrickh, I think there are many versions of this lens. The one I have has a tripod collar, an A-M switch. It came with both caps and even has the Passed sticker on it. I will post some photos of the lens in a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Very nice work and results.

Thanks, the last one is a bit off, but since my eyes are pretty poor I managed to get a few keepers. Fortunately my Panasonic eyepiece magnifier arrived the day before.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan s wrote:
Although I'm no expert, I would say it's a Red-shouldered.

-The Cooper's is listed as "uncommon" in one of my books, while the Red-shouldered is "one of the most common hawks of eastern North America"
-The Cooper's has a more pronounced cap on the head, even while immature

Of course I could be wrong...I'm just an amateur Cool

You must have been close to fill the frame with only a 200mm lens Shocked

Yes, I am sure you are correct. The tail is apparently too short for a Cooper's Hawk.

I was about 35 feet away. The shots were all cropped a bit, the portrait orientation ones more of course. Oh, and it equals a 400mm on my Lumix L1, so it is a crop of a crop. Very Happy

Last edited by cledry on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Red-shouldered??? Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarassed oh you mean the bird, not the lens Laughing

A very nice result indeed. Who sez $10 is not worth $10 any more...

Yes, the bird. Laughing

I had to do a bit of PP, there is a magenta tinge to the images and some purple fringing to deal with.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cledry, i'm new to the forum and came across this thread looking for info on the panasonic l1. what an amazing series! just beautiful. i enclose 2 links to my snapixel acct with 1 very similar fellow and 1 of his cousins for you to enjoy-both taken w sony a100 and manually focused minolta 75-300mm. i hope you like them, and btw, how do you like your panny l1? any issues or problems? i recently traded in my sony/minolta rig for a sigma sd14 and some m42s, but also thinking of getting an l1 body....

http://www.snapixel.com/image/rbelyell/set_819/68372

http://www.snapixel.com/image/rbelyell/set_819/68371

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb! In your Garden ? Even more ...