Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How good is the Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 compared to other classics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: How good is the Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 compared to other classics Reply with quote

Hi there!
So let me ask you this.

How good exactly is the classic Pentax-M SMC 50MM 1.7 (And the M-50MM/2) compared to things like Konicas, Takumars, Canons and Zuikos of the same era?
Now when I say good I mean beautifully imperfect.

There is a thread on Pentax forums that discusses these old 50's and the general consensus is that outside of collector-status and special effects (like helios 100 blade iris etc), those cheaper 50mm like the 1.7 M and m/2 SMC really are just as cool and just as well-built!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M-series 1.4, 1.7 and the 2 are excellent lenses, but each is a different animal (They are one generation after the Takumars)
I used them both in the film times, I have bought the 1.7 and 1.4 again in A-series as they communicate with thePentax DSLRs.
1.7 is a workhorse, sharp as nails, well built and excellent color rendition
2 was a good lens but the 1.7 blew it out of the water.
1.4 is a lot colder than the Takumars but sstill a great lens.

Check pentaxforums for reviews and tons of examples
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-Lenses-c27.html