Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon 722P, 11-22mm f1.7 (Super 8)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Chinon 722P, 11-22mm f1.7 (Super 8) Reply with quote

TA DAAA!

So i took a put on an old Super 8 video camera being interested in re purposing the lens. Turns out it's not so much a lens attached to a camera as a lens is part of the camera system, built in together.

The lens actually has it's final element set back behind the external aperture, and behind the lens helicoid. You could, theoretically, bend the plastic housing to change the focus operation Razz

The external aperture is electronic, 2 x leavers controlled by a small magnet that is infinitely variable.

Kind cool looking design, again this is floating within the housing of the camera body, and only sealed by the plastic housing.. and not sealed, well it's a snug fit as apposed to any mechanical gaskets. Below you can see the final element removed form it all.

The range finder is kinda cool too. Various elements glued into the housing before a cheater right angle flicks it in front of the aperture.. Actually if that's the case, perhaps that rear element does nothing. It might just reverse the image. Hmmmm

Anyway, with the lens more of less deconstructed like a tacho, I've lost motivation to continue. I would have to reuse the housing, make a new one and it's clunky / not going to serve as I thought it might on the little Pentax Q.

Oh well. that was still fun Very Happy

I also suggest the Sankyo Super CM, now might just stay in once piece and live on the shelf behind me, it as a similar looking bulge for the view finder and I can only assume shares a similar design philosophy, with the lens being part of, and not, a part.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon the late reply, I don't drop in here very often anymore.

OP, what you showed us is typical of S8 reflex cameras with integral lenses. C-mount reflexes (C-mount Beaulieus, ZC-1000, ...) have taking lenses that are complete and can be reused fairly easily. Integral lenses often have optics between the beam splitter and the film and between the beam splitter and the eyepiece. Its never been clear to me whether these are relay lenses or parts of the taking lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah very true. Makes sense I suppose as far as manufacturing is supposed, and kinda fun to see their solution to integrating everything.

Back to stalking early 8mm cameras for their C and D mount lenses for me