Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"the worst lens sold" Soligor 35-140mm ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Soligor Zoom 70-160mm F3.5 - Single Ring version Reply with quote

this message is outdated and deleted!

Last edited by Aykman on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might as well jump in, since I have the Tokina Twins.
I know nothing about these, except they are sharp and
present a nice contrast. I read about the 70-210, and the
reviews were very favorable, so when I found a cheap
price, I picked it up. I was not disappointed. This is a very
compact lens. If anyone can give me info on these, I would
greatly appreciate it.

SD 28-70/3.5-4.5
SD70-210/4-5.6

Also have the Soligor CD 35-70/2.5-3.5 Macro 1:2.7
(shown with Tokina 70-210), which has rather flat contrast,
but superb true-to-life colors, and good to excellent out-of-focus
highlights at a pretty fast 2.5 wide open.
All images were taken with Sigma SD-14 and Industar 50/3.5 lens.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: "the worst lens sold" Soligor 35-140mm ? Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
At least two members have or have had it and describe it as the 'worst', so I wondered how bad that was. I got it because I wanted the I-S mount but have never used it until now. So
this morning I had a quick shot or two with my copy of this lens to see just how bad, or not, it was.

I had one (35-140 3.5) because it came with a contax camera I bought some months ago. I tested it and saw it was really bad, so I recently sold it on eBay (just to get rid of it, i don't need more junk in my room), it went for $5 Laughing
My test photos resemble yours, really soft/dreamy wide open, never really sharp, no quality particularly outstanding. I'm even thinking, is it possible that these lenses have a common flaw that makes them deteriorate after years? bad coatings or cements, something? i mean, people really bought this crap in the 70s?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, honestly naplam, the Tokina 70-210 that I showed above really IS a pretty good lens. I wouldn't go so far as to call it crap. Laughing

The others -- I could take them or leave them -- since I already have them, they do see some use, as they aren't seeming to be really bad in sharpness.

Best, Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 70-210 (i guess it's easier to make a better 3x zoom tele too), but the 35-140 i had was terrible, really. I admit the "crap" qualification is subjective, though Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I know we're gettng further and further afield from the original subject here but Larry's Tokinas rang a little bell in my head. These Tamrons have the same specifications as the Tokinas. Some differences to allow for the Adapt All system and some stylistic changes.

I see that the focus direction is opposite, Tokina compared with Tamron. I'm betting your Tokinas are K mount. For a while in, the late manual focus era, Sigma ads trumpeted that their lenses matched the focusing orientation of the cameras they were fitted for. Nikon and Pentax focused opposite just about everyone else. I think that towards the end of the manual focus era Sigma, Tamron and Tokina cooperated on production of some models. These being an example. Perhaps Cosina was involved too.

But wait, there's more! This Minolta MD seems very similar. It reads 28-70 f3.5-4.8 vs te 3.5-4.5 of the Tamron and has 55mm filter ring against 52 of the Tammy and 8 leaf iris vs 6. Overall, it shares the same feel as the Tamron.

Another late era lens and Minolta may have gone to the aftermarket for it.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which lens? The Soligor?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a continuation of the previous discussion about the 35-70/f2.5-3.5. Now I don't need to look for similarity between this lens and 70-160/f3.5 to tell it is also made by Tefnon.

As you can see this is the same lens as Soligor just without a built-in hood.

Exactly the same lens as Tefnon was also sold under the name Access.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
In a continuation of the previous discussion about the 35-70/f2.5-3.5. Now I don't need to look for similarity between this lens and 70-160/f3.5 to tell it is also made by Tefnon.

Not absolutely sure because i found today this ad on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220455359744&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

for a samyang lens and the om mount is EXACTLY the same mount of my soligor 35/70 2.5..
Samyang beeing one of the greatest lens manufacturer, the lens is certaliny made by them

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
... the om mount is EXACTLY the same mount of my soligor 35/70 2.5..
Samyang beeing one of the greatest lens manufacturer, the lens is certaliny made by them

I am not talking about mount but the lens itself. As I have written on the previous page there is a close resemblance in the build and looking of the 70-162/f3.5 and 35-70/f2.5-3.5 lenses. And since I see now both of them made by Tefnon (that is/was a Japanese lens making company) I don't have any reason to think they are made by other company. BTW both lenses are made in Japan and Samyang is a Korean company if I am not mistaken.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: 35-70mm 1:2.5 Reply with quote

I have lens that is obviously from the same manufacturer but it's called UNITOR 2.5-3.5/35-70mm PK mount. It produces very good images and with macro ratio 1:2.7 one can achieve nice shallow depth effects.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone is going to be disappointed with their purchase!

Click here to see on Ebay

If only they would do some google research first!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Asanuma autozoom C/D 45-150mm 3.5; I have seen Soligor sold the same lens, marked C/D too.
Mine is with MD mount, so I could only try the lens on film. Really not bad at all, with useful macro.
Normal MFD is 1.40m, filter 67mm and nearly as heavy as my Vivitar S1 (Kiron) 70-210mm 3.5. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i shot for 1 EUR a "Sun 35-70 mm f/3.5-4.5 Macro" with FD-Mount. While waiting for delivery, i will search some information about this lens.

Do somebody have experience with this lens (or similar lens with other brand)?
Who was the manufacturer?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldMark wrote:
Today i shot for 1 EUR a "Sun 35-70 mm f/3.5-4.5 Macro" with FD-Mount. While waiting for delivery, i will search some information about this lens.

Do somebody have experience with this lens (or similar lens with other brand)?
Who was the manufacturer?

Made by Sun! also

http://forum.mflenses.com/three-suns-sun-opt-zoom-set-t29966.html

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend just dropped his old camera with me, an Asahi SP1000 with this lens and a Vivitar DSC flash
Havent had the time to test it, but this thread made me smile.
T