Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My 'new' A7RII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: My 'new' A7RII Reply with quote

Get this camera from my friend. It is much heavier than my old 5N with many more buttons and wheels. The BSI CMOS and IBIS function are very useful for slower lenses and low light photography.

Sample take with the Orthostigmat at ISO 1250, click for full resolution.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Congrats

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations..
They are getting cheaper (after release Mark iii), i might have consider one A7rii rather than A7ii for my nex6 update Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Congrats!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Whoo Turtle

Quite a nice rig there sir!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz! My A7 has broken curtain after 83000 clics . I hope they solved it on later models.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Congratz! My A7 has broken curtain after 83000 clics . I hope they solved it on later models.

Sony say 7RII shutter life is 500,000K.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83, can you share your experiences after half a year of usage?
Have you adjusted to the new weight/size, or it does hinder you from time to time?

I'm thinking about getting used a6500 in a year or two and continue with adapting through LT II.
But also keep one eye open to A7 series.

Another thing I'm thinking about: some "okay" lenses will begin to fall apart with this kind of resolution.
If we take 16Mp APS-C crop sensor, pixel density will scale to exactly 40Mp across the field on full frame.
If a sharpness on a crop wasn't stellar before, pulling even more of soft FOV over this kind of pixel density won't compliment the glass at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found with my Sony NEX 7, which has a 24.34MP sensor, that I haven't run into a lens yet that can't handle that sensor's resolution. I'm not saying it can't happen. Years ago, I owned an off-brand 28mm f/2.8 lens that couldn't handle the resolution of a good slide emulsion. So they're out there. But if you're into collecting quality lenses, this usually isn't an issue. Well, I can think of one general exception -- I have not been happy with the quality of images from a couple of 17mm f/3.5 lenses I own (both of which do a great job with film cameras) when used with either my NEX or my EOS DSLR. But this has to do with how the crop sensors handle these optics. From what I understand, this isn't an issue with FF digital cameras (I don't own an FF digital -- yet).

Wow. I hadn't checked prices on the A7Rii in quite some time. Geez, they've fallen a LOT. Almost to the point where I can afford one.

You mention that a 16MP APS-C sensor has a density equivalent to a 40MP FF sensor. So then, using a simple algebraic proportion, a 24.3MP APS-C sensor should be the equivalent to a 60.75MP FF sensor. So what this indicates to me then is that a 24.3MP sensor puts a much greater resolution requirement on a lens -- at least the central portion of it -- than a 36MP FF sensor does, yes? So far, I'm not bumping into any optical resolution ceilings with my NEX 7. Just sayin'.

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is OK for me to use it for few hours if the lens attached is not very heavy. For lightweight lenses, focusing on the A7RII is more easy than on 5N as I can hold the camera more steadily.

On APS-C mode, the size of the photo is reduced from 42MP to 18MP, which is less than the current 24MP APS-C sensor. Most of lens I tried on the NEX-5N works equally fine on my A7RII. Most of lenses I tried are sharp enough at most part of the frame, with stopping down one or two stops, on the A7RII.

Don't buy the old A7 or A7II(I have tried both A7 and A7II) if you can afford a used A7RII(A7RII is much cheaper now): the old 24MP sensor is much more inferior to the 42MP sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch, calvin83, thanks for replies.

cooltouch wrote:

You mention that a 16MP APS-C sensor has a density equivalent to a 40MP FF sensor. So then, using a simple algebraic proportion, a 24.3MP APS-C sensor should be the equivalent to a 60.75MP FF sensor. So what this indicates to me then is that a 24.3MP sensor puts a much greater resolution requirement on a lens -- at least the central portion of it -- than a 36MP FF sensor does, yes?

Yes.

24Mp crop sensor pulls roughly one order of magnitude more details from central portion of a lens, than film did.

Eventually, this will force more stopping down from the old lens. I'm just not sure, at what pixel density real struggle will begin.

calvin83 wrote:
Don't buy the old A7 or A7II(I have tried both A7 and A7II) if you can afford a used A7RII(A7RII is much cheaper now): the old 24MP sensor is much more inferior to the 42MP sensor.

Yeah, that was my assessment too.
Personally, there are several drawbacks for me: price, size, price of the native full frame lens (I'd have to abandon any plans for ultra-wide or autofocus glass)

However sensor is fantastic and will definitely beat out the crap out of of APS-C + Lens Turbo II.