Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I made an adapter for Kiev 10 (15) lenses to Micro4/3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: I made an adapter for Kiev 10 (15) lenses to Micro4/3 Reply with quote

I just got a OM-D EM10 and bid on a bunch of cheap Soviet lenses on eBay for fun. Of course didnt research quite enough and ended up with 2 Kiev Contax (EDIT: Meant to say Kiev 10 or Kiev 15, not Contax) lenses (Mir 1 and Jupiter 9).
Since I couldnt find a Kiev 10 to m43 adapter online I made one in Fusion 360 and 3d printed it. Since the aperture adjustment is on an internal bayonet on the Kiev mount I put a little grabby flange inside, when mounting it you spin the lens on still the bayonet embeds into the plastic of the flange when you can spin the lens in/out of the adapter (as if removing or tightening) to change the F stop.

I have no idea if Ive done a good job or not as Im new to all this! Seems to work fine, though my Jupiter 9 is producing strangely warm photos??
The STL's for printing should be up on MyMinifactory soon once it passes review later today:
https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Kodachrome

I put two versions (and a few lens caps) there, one with a "base plate" partially covering the opening to allow easier 3D printing with troublesome filaments. This is just cut off the final print. Most printers can use the standard version.

Oddly tiny photos I have to hand:

Fusion 360 drawing:

Questions for you guys:
- Any tips or changes I should make?
- What effect does the height of the adapter make to the lens and its performance? Via trial and error I made it 26mm (absolute max dimensions, including mounted part in camera).
- Any reason one of my lenses shoots visibly much warmer shots that Im overlooking?

Last edited by kodachrome on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:43 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused! Contax RF mount already have very short FFD and the adapter shouldn't be that thick and i dont think any version of Mir-1 produced in that mount.also your lens and adapter seems to be in Kiev Automatic mount and this is a slr mount (topic is in rf forum)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raxar wrote:
I'm confused! Contax RF mount already have very short FFD and the adapter shouldn't be that thick and i dont think any version of Mir-1 produced in that mount.also your lens and adapter seems to be in Kiev Automatic mount and this is a slr mount (topic is in rf forum)

Right, maybe Ive labelled it wrong, my bad. Its an adapter for Kiev 10 (and Kiev 15) to m4/3.
I'm seeing lots of lenses in this format, I have two right here!
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2057872.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xkiev+10+lens.TRS0&_nkw=kiev+10+lens&_sacat=0

Maybe I did put this in the wrong sub-forum, this was the only one for Micro Four Thirds I could find on this site? Im sure an admin can move it if needed!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replying to my own post, today after learning about FFD, I found:

Kiev 10 / 15 is 44mm
m4/3 is 19.25

Therefore my adapter should be 24.75mm on its body (not counting its own flange)
44mm FFD on the kiev 10 lens minus 19.25mm on the OM-D

The body of my adapter that I made is 21.65mm.. meaning my adapter is actually too short not too long. Is this correct?

PS: Guide here doing similar to what I did:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-Kiev-10Kiev-15-Lenses-On-Digital-Cameras/step2/A-closer-look-at-the-lenses/