Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Something must be wrong with this lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Something must be wrong with this lens Reply with quote

... or the photographer?

First two pictures taken in the Bergius Botanical gardens in Stockholm, the rest five at my work (3 and 4 in the collections, 5, 6 and 7 in the exhibition).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like every one of these images, I think they look great!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

maybe there is something wrong with this lens (or photographer), but as long it produces those nice looking photos... I wouldn't change anything Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's something terrible wrong with it. Strange enough, I can actually use a lens with those terrible defects. You can send it to me if you want, but you'll have to pay the postage -- just like to dispose of e-waste a fee must be paid. Wink I suggest you send it asap because these things are known to cause mental problems which fast fool a person into thinking the lens is excellent -- insidious!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for comments. But this lens I will keep for myself for now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong, just very unique! Nicely done Alex!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can say is your work is a very interesting place. If I worked there, I'm afraid I wouldn't be getting much work done!

Obviously I don't see a significant problem with the lens or the photographer. BTW, what lens is this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what is the lens?

Your images are very unique. I like them very much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this lens? you ask. I have no idea. It has no name on it, just serial number and magnification. Can be an objective for a dissecting microscope, or can be an achromatic attachment to some other lens.

It is achromatically corrected, and has high resolution despite the soft focus "glow" caused by spherical aberrations.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like every image. Very nice. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, can you post an image of it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Lightshow's request. If it has no name, an image would be nice to fill in the gaps. Who knows, somebody here may be able to identify it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, try...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I already see that lens in another "what is it?" thread here? Maybe was a dream. Laughing In my dream thread the consensus was a lens from a microfilm(/microfiche?) reader and/or duplication machine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some users lens like this would be a garbage, but nor for someone who can use it.
damn good results Alex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
for some users lens like this would be a garbage, but nor for someone who can use it.
damn good results Alex

Yep. I have a 300mm f/5.6 Zeiss Tessar lens that I bought at an astronomy swap meet for dirt cheap. The seller claimed it came out of a "paint comparator" -- you know, those machines that places like Home Depot use to analyze the color of a paint chip you bring in and then match it to a formulation of theirs? It's a cool optic in a heavy aluminum mount and I had fantasies of building a housing for it, and then I ran across information on something called a "copyscope" -- which is a telesccope (or spotting scope) made from a lens pulled from a scrapped photocopier. So I read up on it and was surprised at the information out there.

Here's a link to a guy's site where he shows how he built his own copyscope. And what's cool about it is he used the exact same lens I own for his project:

http://www.teeters-telescopes.htmlplanet.com/copyscope.html

Just one more thing I need to get around to one of these days . . .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Did I already see that lens in another "what is it?" thread here? Maybe was a dream. Laughing In my dream thread the consensus was a lens from a microfilm(/microfiche?) reader and/or duplication machine.

Shouldn't it be sharp if it was for the microfilm reader or duplication machine?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the images it produces it looks like a soft focus lens, but given it's source that probably wasn't originally intended.
So perhaps technically there is something wrong with the lens, however theres NOTHING wrong with the images, which make great use of what may be a 'happy accident'.

Removing the rear group from a old 50mm prime will often give this sort of effect, increasing the focal length in the process. I've deliberatly done this to one of my K50/1.7 lenses after seeing reports of it as a soft focus modification for (IIRC) an olympus 50mm.
The change in focal length needs added extension for anything to focus which is slightly awkward in use (I use it with bellows on µ4/3).
With this mod the degree of glow is highly dependant on aperture, pretty much disapearing after shutting down a couple of stops.
Needless to say none of the shot's I've made with the set-up look as good as yours. No doubt in my case that a fault in the photographer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
In the images it produces it looks like a soft focus lens, but given it's source that probably wasn't originally intended.
So perhaps technically there is something wrong with the lens, however theres NOTHING wrong with the images, which make great use of what may be a 'happy accident'.

Technically there is nothing wrong with the lens. It most probably works as intended for its original purpose, which would be to be part of the optical assembly with other lenses, which together produce proper image. In any case, I do not care what kind of lens it is, and what was its original purpose. Some people here wanted to see this lens, so I showed it. Now this thread is turning into technical discussion, but it was not my original intention. That's why I placed my post in this particular subforum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have a sister lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1431711.html#1431711

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my lens, I had to add aperture and focusing myself. I can see only five reflections, it might be 3e/2g design, and it is much less corrected than yours, Klaus. But why does it have such short focusing range?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me Alex, I like such photography a lot.

Not sure about my lens, have to try it out outside. It behaves oddly to say the least. maybe because it is for some sort of special microscope? Never found any info on that with such a large mounting size. Looks like an oversized microscope obective.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Klaus here -- those photos are fabulous!

Could short focus range be for ease of use? -- easier to move camera close & then adjust focus rather than attempting to position camera perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here more about my strange lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1431708.html#1431708

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we sure the lens is objective? Maybe an eyepiece?