Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Birding with a Tair 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Birding with a Tair 3 Reply with quote

This looks like a ridiculous set up!

The ridiculous looking Tair 3 and Nex combo! by Caledonia84, on Flickr

Seams to do ok for birding if you can get close enough, I do think this lens is sharper than I can do it credit at the minute poor lighting and handling on my behalf, so will try again in better light and maybe use a monopod, the tripod wasnt usable in the hide so had to rest the tair on a ledge.

Kingfisher (Tair-3) by Caledonia84, on Flickr

Kingfisher Bashing a fish (Tair-3) by Caledonia84, on Flickr

Woodpecker (Tair 3) by Caledonia84, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kingfisher is stunning! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 is my favorite! But all of the photos are very great! I tried birding with this lens but only with 6D and the focus can't be fast enough for this purpose, maybe mirrorless is the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are too hard on yourself! Nice series, especially the last kingfisher.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys, Very impressed with the lens to be honest the bokeh is excellent too with the 16 blades, definitely worth more than the £31 I paid for it, highly recommended

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots. I did the same thing last weekend with my Sony and my Tair 3phs but never managed quite what you did. Perhaps a better hide.

I use a clamp similar to this with a tripod head attached. I clamp it to the 'leaning' shelf in the hide.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil that looks the business! Didn't know such a contraption existed l, that would be ideal, if you're ever north of the border pm me and I'll give you directions to this hide, this little regularly comes within 3 metres Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image is of two pieces, the clamp and the tripod head. Any tripod head will do. My set-up is the same but using older (1970's) versions. I'll try to get a snap.

edit: Here is mine. Battered from decades of use.

There are several bodies of water near my home with hides. I must get out to them and see what's there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of those clamps with a cheap head on it, I think the head is steel it's that heavy, but it's super smooth and solid with a long handle and easier with a big heavy lens than any of the more expensive heads I've got. I've also drilled and tapped the Manfrotto clamp so I can screw the head on the end.
It's a great bit of kit, but they are about £25 new.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another with the tair 3

Blue Tit by Caledonia84, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images. Some of the best I've seen from Tair-3.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Very nice images. Some of the best I've seen from Tair-3.

Many thanks Woodrim I take it you haven't seen too many Tair 3 shots!!!! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, these are excellent pictures, you use this remarkable lens really well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Oh yes, these are excellent pictures, you use this remarkable lens really well.

Thanks again, but I did have around 500 shots from that day, maybe around 10 keepers!!!!! I did think to myself, "This would be really easy with a 300mm f4.5 Af lens" but where would the fun be in that!!! Plus I can't afford one!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I love digital, some people criticize the machine method of getting the good picture, but was it actually that different back in the days of film? I remember watching a UK v USA athletics event back in the late 1970's and I was right behind a bunch of press photographers who has assistants loading cameras as fast as the motordrives were using film, and that went on all afternoon. As an amateur I shot a couple of rolls. Digital has liberated photography in that respect, we have the same chance as the pro's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, great lens for so low price.