Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A walk on the harbor with Jupiter-12
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: A walk on the harbor with Jupiter-12 Reply with quote

Hi everybody, as I got a Sony A7 I can now use a Jupiter-12 that I wanted to try since long time...
All around f/8 except number 9, wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A walk on the harbor with Jupiter-12 Reply with quote

I was expecting bad corners but this looks good!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, wide open the corners are not for the "pixel peeper's challenge". Even at f/8 there are some vignetting and softness.
But i like it Wink

Last edited by caribou on Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, this lens is on my to get list but has now moved up a few places Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caribou wrote:
Well, wide open the corners are not for the "pixel peeper's challenge". Even at f/8 there are some vignetting and softness.
But i like it Wink

I've heard stuff like "soviet junk" and " only usable on film, and still bad". Apparently not true! But there's probably some sample variation. I think it's safe to say you got a good one Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you caribou.

I recently bought a Jupiter 12. The price was good but it took forever to be delivered from Ukraine. Considering the circumstances there I couldn't complain. I ordered one in a Contax RF mount as I had read that the LTM version sat too far into the camera to work on an NEX.

Well when it arrived I tried mounting it onto an A6000 and when it didn't fit I just put it aside. After seeing your post today I experienced my 'you dumbshit' moment. So I grabbed the lens and found that it mounted just fine on the A7.

Just a quick OOC JPG to test it out. Not bad at all even if the corners are a little dark.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

I've heard stuff like "soviet junk" and " only usable on film, and still bad". Apparently not true! But there's probably some sample variation.
Mine is a M39 version from 1957. I love the soviet lenses, but that's true there are some variation... In a general way I think it is better to avoid those made during 60's and 70's.

newst wrote:
So I grabbed the lens and found that it mounted just fine on the A7.
I think only A7 (and probably A7r and A7s) work with the J-12. Maybe Leica work too but...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always pleased by my J-12, you just need to not expect too much on borders. But it's very compact and nice lens mount on A7 (especialy in black version).
J-12 can only be mounted on FullFrame mirrorless, so Leica or A7...
Caribou, nice set of photo Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last of the B&W series is a terrific shot, just a bit darker then, well, then my taste likes, I could hang it on my wall,

The pic with the leaves is also great, very tactile,

Best,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, those are super. Great series overall.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I must say I'm happy to re-discover my (few) old soviet lenses with this A7.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots.
Love the shot with the seagulls, although as mentioned by Renato it seems a tad dark.
I have this lens for my Kiev, I will have to try it out more.