Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Finnish Lapland
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Finnish Lapland Reply with quote

We went to the Finnish lapland for X'mas with some friends. It was a fantastic experience with temperatures dipping to -30 deg C. We stayed in a place called Ivalo which is few hundred kms above the arctic circle.

With the temperatures being so low, it was not very easy to get out and do many activities. Even the locals mentioned that this was a very unusual week with such constantly low temperatures. Also, this is the polar night region so the sun doesn't rise, but there is some light between 10.30 and 14.00 or so.

Here some photos from the trip.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - really great images, looks like you had a good time there despite the cold!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series, what a place!!!

Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really nice photos here! #1, #5 and #7 for me are the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful photos!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos. I hope that one time in life I will photograph aurora borealis...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Very good!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The landscape itself is so beautiful that you just have to point your camera at it.

I would definitely like to go again and March and April would be a much better time as you can see most of the snow but with much longer days and higher temperatures.

BTW, the gear I used was Sony A7 + Canon FL 55/1.2 and Tokina 17/3.5.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images indeed. How did the A7 do in -30?
(battery, startup etc.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots - congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fennoscandia is indeed on my long-term wandering todo list, but of course only in period when most of the butterflies is on the wing Cool Thus I will probably see only polar day, but not polar night.

Counting on sympathies, I prefer Finland or even northern Russia for various reasons.

Nice pics though. Keep them postin' Arrow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments!

Nordentro wrote:
Beautiful images indeed. How did the A7 do in -30?
(battery, startup etc.)

Absolutely no problems there, was pleasantly surprised. I was packing 3 batteries but they lasted well. And I had taken quite a few long exposures (+20 sec) in that temp. So quite impressed with the A7 in that dept.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, good to know Wink
We`ve had down to around -16 so far this winter, but my town is in the south part of Norway. We have -25 to -35 sometimes, but usually not very often and there may be a years between those really cold periods Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Thx, good to know Wink
We`ve had down to around -16 so far this winter, but my town is in the south part of Norway. We have -25 to -35 sometimes, but usually not very often and there may be a years between those really cold periods Very Happy

Incidentally I've just started to watch Lillehammer on Netflix. Seems like a beautiful place from what I see in the series. Norway is on a list of places to visit hopefully this summer.

Here some more shots I processed from the trip.

Oulu to Helsinki... by bhargav dave, on Flickr

DSC04639-Edit.jpg by bhargav dave, on Flickr

Travelling in snow by bhargav dave, on Flickr

A snowy morning in north Finland. by bhargav dave, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish Lapland Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
We went to the Finnish lapland for X'mas with some friends. It was a fantastic experience with temperatures dipping to -30 deg C. We stayed in a place called Ivalo which is few hundred kms above the arctic circle.

With the temperatures being so low, it was not very easy to get out and do many activities. Even the locals mentioned that this was a very unusual week with such constantly low temperatures. Also, this is the polar night region so the sun doesn't rise, but there is some light between 10.30 and 14.00 or so.

Very nice! Was there about 3 hours of sunlight?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
Thx, good to know Wink

Incidentally I've just started to watch Lillehammer on Netflix. Seems like a beautiful place from what I see in the series. Norway is on a list of places to visit hopefully this summer.

Here some more shots I processed from the trip.

Oulu to Helsinki... by bhargav dave, on Flickr

DSC04639-Edit.jpg by bhargav dave, on Flickr

Travelling in snow by bhargav dave, on Flickr

A snowy morning in north Finland. by bhargav dave, on Flickr

These are nice too Very Happy
Let me know if you go to my area Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked WOW!!! Magical place of extreme beauty!!!...I'm surprised to see trees this far north, miniature as they are. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one can see the cold, well done!
phaa, only 4 hours or so of light...can't imagine!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both series are just stunning! I agree you can almost feel the cold through the images. The landscape seems to lend itself to B&W photography as well as color.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked the photos.

Yes, the cold was quite special at that time! The most fascinating experience was to go on a sledge ride with the Sami (indigenous to Lapland) Husky herders. They took us for a 8 km ride in the wilderness. I will never forget that landscape. The moon was shining and there was slight fog, snow in abundance was everywhere, which made the view absolutely stunning. I took action cam video of the whole ride but haven't had a chance to process it yet.

I strongly recommend that you should visit if you get chance, you will not regret it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Finnish Lapland Reply with quote

[quote="AstroZon"]
bhargav wrote:

Very nice! Was there about 3 hours of sunlight?

Actually being in polar night zone there is actually no "sunlight" as such as the sun would not rise (but would stay just below horizon). But there is around 3-4 hours of light. The snow also reflects whatever artificial or natural (i.e. moon) light so it can be bright at other times. For this reason March/April would be really good time to visit, as the days would be longer and you'd still see snow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really beautiful and great series Dave!
Lapland is really stunning place for the nature photographer where every different season lights gives you always totally different views there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemmo wrote:
Really beautiful and great series Dave!
Lapland is really stunning place for the nature photographer where every different season lights gives you always totally different views there.

Thanks Hemmo! You are absolutely right. I hope to be there in Spring/Summer sometime too!