Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bokeh Only!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I modded a Leitz Elmaron 150mm f2.8 to fit my Canon 60d, and it is stupidly easy to create bokeh bubbles with it. It has a tiny bit of fungus I need to clean, but that should be easy.

Here are some of my bokeh highlight studies. Notice the repeating pattern in the circles? I think that may be the fungus?

None of these are crops btw.

EDIT: I have another to upload but the uploader just says "OK" and doesn't add it to the post..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyclop 85mm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of big bubbles...

Also shot through Sears 135mm f/2.8. Neither one has been cropped.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primoplan 1.9/58,I took this awhile ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-8 LTM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cannot bring myself to show bokeh only - mine look sooooo bleh!
So ..............
Here is an attempt from today.
OH

Bronica Zenzanon 2.8/75 MC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the Pancolar 2/50,I don't know if it stays true to what bernhardas is trying to accomplish?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
This is from the Pancolar 2/50,I don't know if it stays true to what bernhardas is trying to accomplish?

Who cares.
It is beautiful.
One of your best Mo.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank you Bernhard for setting a wonderful theme for all of us to explore.
Of course, we will not all see it with the same eyes and that is the beauty of it.
vive la différence
Of your last four images, I absolutely love the fourth.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both,this is one of the many enjoyments of using the old lenses,you really can paint with them.

This is what the first image was

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto Tak 2.2/55 Brisbane, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heddal Stavkirke by A_Anything, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas: I think you're getting better at this. I am finding it very difficult. There seems to be a point where an image seems just poorly focused, then there is a point where it is too out of focus. Finding a happy spot in between is the trick.

Does this one work? Can you tell what is here? My wife hates it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus Prime Very Happy, Biotar 4cm/2 robot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Woodrim,I like it,why I don't really know.There is enough clarity to see what the subject is,the highlights provide enough interest with both busy and smooth bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mo and bernhardas. While I love all different kinds of bokeh, I'm still not sure of myself with this form of art. My wife hated it, and then I posted it on a facebook photography forum and got killed. Not a single person there liked it - or they were afraid to say so. There was a long list of deserters. That's okay because it told me what I was wondering. It also opened up good conversation. If this can be considered art, then it is appreciated by select few. I do appreciate some of it, but have not yet settled on understanding where the line is between out-of-focus and bokeh art. In that photography forum I then posted the below image which received much the opposite reaction. All it took was a very small area to the far left that was in focus to change their perceptions. I find that interesting because while their eye may travel there first, to find the point of focus, they then look mostly at the rest of the photo for appreciation. I suspect this means that we have become programmed in photography to always expect that point of focus and have a hard time coping when it isn't there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread,I`d really like to try this lens on FF for extra swirl-

Nex 5r and Schneider Keuznach Xenon 50mm f2 (from Diax 2b)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Thanks, Mo and bernhardas. While I love all different kinds of bokeh, I'm still not sure of myself with this form of art. My wife hated it, and then I posted it on a facebook photography forum and got killed. Not a single person there liked it - or they were afraid to say so. There was a long list of deserters. That's okay because it told me what I was wondering. It also opened up good conversation. If this can be considered art, then it is appreciated by select few. I do appreciate some of it, but have not yet settled on understanding where the line is between out-of-focus and bokeh art. In that photography forum I then posted the below image which received much the opposite reaction. All it took was a very small area to the far left that was in focus to change their perceptions. I find that interesting because while their eye may travel there first, to find the point of focus, they then look mostly at the rest of the photo for appreciation. I suspect this means that we have become programmed in photography to always expect that point of focus and have a hard time coping when it isn't there.

Not every one will appropriate a photo no single object in focus. Many people will lost their interest if they cannot find a focus point at first glance. You may get better feedback with the people live in the Oriental.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
You may get better feedback with the people live in the Oriental.

I believe you are right.