Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meniscus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Фотографии в альбоме «Монокль 35мм из передней линзы Индустар 96У», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally have something to contribute here.

I picked up (for free!) a 235mm FL 70mm d. BCX lens in a package of photo stuff. It was -- was -- in pristine condition until the guy at the plastics shop dropped it while looking at it and used his belly and the metal edge of the counter to stop it from falling on the floor. Even with a crosshatch of surface scratches in the middle and one large one off to the side it takes very single-element-like images.

So I fitted it up in a single piece of black acrylic and, having converted my Graflex Super D 4X5 to an interchangeable-lens camera that accepts (kinda of) Calumet boards, I fitted the meniscus lens up on the camera. Here are some of my test shots: (all the shots are on Arista 100 exposed at 50 ISO and developed in DK-50 1+1. I had some trouble identifying the ideal time but it turns out to be 2:00 at 20 degree. These shots are all in the 3-6:00 developing range and were part of my trial-and-error process to fidn the best time for that film/developer/pull combination.)

An infinity-ish test shot just to identify the focus boundaries and nature of the focus-to-blur transition.

It's a surprisingly contrasty lens.

Pretty darn sharp in the center, despite the network of center scratches.

Basically the exact look I was hoping for with this lens.

I have some blank plastic sheets and I'm hoping to make some aperture plates for it this month.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, welcome!

Meniscus lens 35 mm. Polaroid style Smile

Фотографии в альбоме «Монокль 35мм из передней линзы Индустар 96У», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful ones again Serkol!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danke, Klaus!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do like these images. Very cool stuff as it is such an interesting aesthetic. It is very easy to get this stuff wrong I think, so kudos on getting it right :_D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, rudolfkremers! This aesthetics of pictorialism. Between photography and painting

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meniscus lens 85mm.
Light from window

Фотографии в альбоме «Монокль из передней линзы Юпитер-8», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surrealismo Laughing Laughing

Фотографии в альбоме «Монокль из передней линзы Юпитер-8», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Фотографии в альбоме «Монокль 40мм», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, bernhardas!
Big thanks for your attention and Happy new year!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this kind of photography. Still not decided what to buy, a quality "microlenses" soft filter or a meniscus lens inserted into a Helios body. The price is about the same, around 100USD.

serkol wrote:
PS - bad way... without soul. Difficult and not perspectivly. Shooting with monolens more exiting and intesting. You work with light in very different, very enjoyable way. ... You see mistical inner light, soul of things..

I like what you wrote. I think meniscus lens will win;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri, thank you!
Classic way - monolens (meniscus), or (better) achromatic lens, if you find it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now when I was ordering a meniscus lens you say it's better with an achromat lens. Wink Why?
I have 3 achromat lenses, but they are for close up photography (+2, +3 +4).
Have I to use this somehow for pictorialism and not spend money for the meniscus lens?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have an achromatic lens. But I know that the color with the achromatic lens better.
Close up lenses will not fit. Must be chosen by experimentation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a meniscus lens. It will take a few weeks to get to me. Until then I'd like to learn something about using this type of lens. Please can you give some links to tutorials on using meniscus lens?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no tutorials. My tutorials - the works of artists - Impressionists and early photographers - pictorialists (Camera Work)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonalism with meniscus lens 40mm + Ricoh GHR

Click for enlarging

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote