Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Understanding the quality of light
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Understanding the quality of light Reply with quote

Hi all,

this was an exercise I have put to myself, back in April 2004, when I was trying to understand the quality of the light.
My "homework" was to try to find good quality light and avoid as much as possible the contrasty light.
I was in a very short trip to the states where I was about to see an old friend for very short time.

I did not want to spend my whole day taking photos as that would consume the time available to see my friend. It was part of the exercise to be fast and be able to find the right spot fast. In my tools I did not have any flash or lighting equipment. I had to use the environment somehow to light up my subject. If the lighting conditions were too harsh I should not stop shooting.. part of the exercise was to either try to pose my model (okay my friend) to avoid the shadows or at the end embrace them

Once I finished my first exercise I was curious to see the results. Since the April I have spend much more time on different type of exercises-assignments. I hope I will find time to start processing these too and share them here.

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are really nice portraits.

Typo maybe? 2004? 10 years?

I like portraits in the shade too, and prefer cloud cast days for portraits. Sunset hours also give unique light, but might be too short.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014 Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no good light quality or bad light quality. It cant be measured like that. If you play cricket, and can't see the ball because it is overcast and gloomy, then to you the light quality is low. In the same light if you are shooting a portrait, you don't get any unwanted shadows or contrast - so then it may be regarded as good quality.

Bad quality light is light that prevents you doing what you want , good quality light helps you to do what you want. Make the most of what you have.

Cricketers will wind-up the game or go for tea and cucumber sandwiches. Sometimes that a good idea!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaios,

I agree with that, light have angle of incidence, reflectance, size of light source, direct or diffuse characteristics, color, UV level, and so on.

For natural light there is some places where light has more natural appealing characteristics. Under heavy pollution in big cities the light can be horrible as possible: ex. Sao Paulo-Brazil.

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the feedback. I was not expecting that you comment that though.
If we take the strict definitions you are right, I think for that exercise the important part was to have the type of lighting that would allow me to shoot portraits mostly.

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Alex

Why not?

For portraits, under natural light the worst one is direct sunlight - the harder one can imagine under the sun to balance highlights and shadows.
For direct sunlight and other natural light you'll be forced to use light modifiers, and sometimes flash light, to bring shadows or to spread some light over the subject.
There are an incredible amount of information over the net and more specifically at youtube for portraiture under natural light, take a look at that...

Some pics of yourself are also very good for general use, you're a kind of person who seems to be very comfortable in front of a lens - me for instance, i'm not,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not me in the shots. just my friends. You are right about the light definition you gave so far.
I was just wondering though if you can comment on my technique and on the mistakes you see

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaios,

I thought it were you, sorry.
I don't see big mistakes in your shots, you just have to take a bit more attention framing, avoiding cutting some body parts randomly, and whats on the background, I mean trying to neutralize more to not compete with the main subject. In some shots you make the same mistake I make myself: the subject in the dead center.
I learned a lot about my own portraiture working with black & white. It's more easy to isolate the fundamentals of the image without the distraction of color interaction within the scene and with each other. BTW, the color choice of your shots is one of the strong points of the series, IMHO,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
alaios wrote:
Alex

Why not?

For portraits, under natural light the worst one is direct sunlight - the harder one can imagine under the sun to balance highlights and shadows.
For direct sunlight and other natural light you'll be forced to use light modifiers, and sometimes flash light, to bring shadows or to spread some light over the subject.
There are an incredible amount of information over the net and more specifically at youtube for portraiture under natural light, take a look at that...

Some pics of yourself are also very good for general use, you're a kind of person who seems to be very comfortable in front of a lens - me for instance, i'm not,

Cheers,

Renato

I agree with this, when doing weddings or outdoor portraits, a bright sunny day is not the best light, yes everyone feels happy because the sun does that, but a nice overcast day is perfect, no shadows, no fill-in flash to calculate, and with a tripod no problem with longish exposures.

Your friend (I knew it wasn't you because I read your post properly Wink ) is a natural in front of the camera and a great model. I find it hard to photograph a male model sometimes because I'm used to women models. I'm a bit flirty with some women and it helps put them at ease when I'm taking photos, particularly if they are not young or skinny. "tummy in - tits out!!" always breaks the ice and actually works on the photos. With men I haven't a bloody clue. I took some photos of a gay model and used the same approach I use for women. That worked, but I expect it wouldn't every time!

I ramble on. Sorry. I also agree about the framing, its easy to put the models head in the centre of the frame and, God knows, I've done it enough times myself! If shooting digital - and using a tripod - I find the viewing screen useful as its like looking at the photo and easier to frame, like using an old TLR. Best thing to do is shoot wide and crop later. But altogether a very good set of shots, well done.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this series:Wedding Foto - Shooting Around the Clock
http://youtu.be/f8AteH8DQqQ

Essentials of Creative Wedding Photography - 12 B…: http://youtu.be/sAsOxIMRwaM